RedMax 621AVS?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfaoldguy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can buy a RedMax 621AVS with about 95 psi compression for $150 but don't know much about saws. What say the experts? Thank you for your help.

Welcome to the site!

95psi...does it run? It shouldn't at that compression. So you're buying a parts saw, really. Whether it's a good deal depends on what the repair parts - piston, maybe cylinder, maybe seals - are going to run you.

A runner was for sale here for $225 not too long ago: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/redmax-g621avs-225.255461/

Thank you for your quick reply.

Yes, it runs. He started it and revved it up. He handed it to me and I set it down and let it just idle. It idled well and had that little hesitation when he first tried to rev it up. He said it has about 95 compression and that most saws run good above 90. He has been a small engine repair man for 2 years at the biggest outdoor power equipment shop in town. That's his credentials but I'm questioning them now. He said all of the chainsaws he has done usually test between 90 and 100 psi with the highest ever being 110 and that above 90 is good. He acted shocked that people on ebay were showing photos of 150 psi with their saws and wondered what they were doing to get those numbers.

They are under performers stock. They make very good gains when ported.

Like others have mentioned, his gauge is likely very wrong. A good running 60cc saw for $150 is a dang good deal to me.

I agree jughead. When I asked about the compression, he said there wasn't any scoring or anything. I think I want to take a chance on it. If it does die pretty soon, can always sell for parts and get a bit of that back.

lf thats what he says about compression and he's a tech at a big OPE store.........somthin smells fishy. Either a bad compresision gauge or porkies are being told. You would think he would know about compression if he really does what he states he does. Maybe its a healthy 145+psi saw and he is like a dear with no eyes......a no eyed dear!lol

I really don't know what to think about him. Is the 90 to 100 range common for trimmers, lawn mowers, and other small engines? Maybe he doesn't work on that many chainsaws. I'm trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

In a general sense, a 2,stroke engine will run at 100 pounds. 100 pounds for an old 70s sled or bike isn't too bad. Saws run higher. Like 125 ish and up is a good place to Re ring

Tickhound93,

Thank you for the numbers. It's stuff like that a budding arborist wannabe really appreciates. :)

140-150 is good unless its an old poulan beard and they do good at 130-135.anything over 150 is excellent.some stihls such as the 026/260 can go 160 to 180 stock.

Latest posts

Back