Redwood and Blue Spruce

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I live in MD, so when a friends next door neighbor said I could have the log from the Redwood his Dad planted many years ago, I said yes. It's a good 90 feet tall. Next to it is a big Blue Spruce, about the same height. I told him I was not interested in the BS, should I reconsider. Is the BS good for anything milled. I have Red and White Oak logs, Black Walnut and Maple logs, all stacked waiting to be milled. If the BS isn't particularly good for anything, I'll pass on it, Joe.

Blues spruce, when quartersawn, is amazingly stable and great to work with, especially as a secondary wood for carcasses and frames. Plus, it's there, why not?

Thanks, I have to get it Tuesday morning. A friend has a band mill and I'm trying to get in touch with him. If he wants it, it's all his. He's into wood working. I want the Redwood slabs. I build slab furniture. Thanks again, Joe.

I sure the Redwood your getting is Dawn Redwood, not to be confused with the California Redwoods. I'm not sure how similar they are as far as wood color/quality.

There are several other trees that used to get planted in this area that some folks called Redwoods. I just googled Dawn Redwood and that is what it looks like. I'm getting the log Tuesday morning. I'll post pics, Joe.

Latest posts

Back