Redwoods,climbing and laws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had been thinking about climbing a few redwoods, kind of thinking otherwise now, at least until I find a safe spot. I could fit all my gear in a day pack so I could stay fairly inconspicuous. I can't imagine my gaffs and flip line taring up a tree with bark thicker than my head either..

Redwoods Tree Climbing

Has anyone done this? This thread got me very interested.

Redwoods Tree Climbing

On 12/21/2012 3:07 PM, Richard wrote:
Can you send me more information on this? Cost, actual redwood trees?
Thanks

Sure thing! We're climbing Giant Sequoia in near the Giant Sequoia Kings Canyon national park. You can see information on this class, including dates, times and fees on this page:

COE - Courses - Climbing - Redwoods Tree Climbing Section 1

and I think the same information here:

Classes | Tree Climbing Institute

We cover all the basic skills for climbing this kind of tree. No experience is necessary, though some level of physical fitness is probably a good idea as the climbing is challenging. Most of the students are Cornell undergraduates, but anyone is welcome to join in.

-Mark

Last edited:
Go ahead and find a tree to climb! Sounds like it'd be a great adventure. :rock:
I have found several, you are correct, it has been a great adventure and education into the beauty of such places and the preservation of this resource for future generations. I don't think a person can have a real appreciation until they have actually been there. .

I have a desire to climb a 300 +ft. tree. I live in Calif. and those redwoods are only a few hours a way. If my buddy and I drive up there and we go into the forest and find a really tall tree, and use noninvasive techniques(SRT)are we in violation of any laws?
It has always been a dream of mine to climb one of these and spend the night up there. Beastmaster

How do you determine ahead of time the difference between a tall redwood and a "really" talll tree?

I know how I do. Just curious how you do it, seeing they are all rather tall, and the "if" got me thinking it would be hard not to find a really tall tree.

Did you ever seek climbing on privately owned old growth?

Back