Regional dishes and cooking methods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Reaction score
What regional dishes are popular where you live, or have lived.
Some conversations in the What's for dinner thread got me thinking.
Presently I live West of St. Louis and have discovered a few dishes here, that I hadn't encountered before.
Here's a few:

Toasted Ravioli- Beef Ravioli that's dipped in an Egg wash, rolled in Italian bread crumbs and deep fried.
It's served with Marinara for dipping and is generally eaten as an appetizer.

Provel Cheese- a blend of Provelone, white Cheddar and Swiss cheeses. It's generally used on Pizza and in
Salads. It's used exclusively in St. Louis style Pizza (extremely thin and crispy crust and cut
into squares, instead of Pie shaped slices).

Gooey Butter cake- not really a cake. Closer to a butter flavored sweet brownie. I'm not sure how it's made.
It's too rich for my taste and I don't care for it but it's very popular around St. Louis.

I've also been to local BBQ's where smoked sausage and thinly sliced Pork steaks were cooked on the grill, then dumped in a big roaster full of a locally produced and cheap BBQ sauce called Maulls and beer, then the roaster is put back on the grill to simmer, till the meat falls apart. I don't use this method but it's pretty popular in the St. Louis area.

So...........what regional dishes and cooking methods do you guys have, that others have probably never heard of?

Porketta: Rolled/tied or bagged pork roast seasoned with many spices with fennel as a main flavoring. Excellent.

IMG_5480.JPG

Pasty: non sweetened pie crust outer stuffed with a combination of beef or burger, cubed veggies usually including carrot, rutabaga, potato, and sometimes turnip.
IMG_5481.PNG

Potato sausage/blood sausage: Ring sausage. Potato sausage primarily came from Scandinavia and blood sausage from Croatia. Blood was added to utilize all parts of a butchered animal. Both are very good.

Wild rice brats/porketta brats/pasty brats: non smoked brats including ingredients from their respective names.

Antipasto. Most Italians consider antipasto to be an appetizer plate of vegetables. Those from the Tyrolean region make a delicious concoction of tuna, tomatoes, peppers, pearl onions, olives and mushrooms cooked together and then canned.

I asked my 100% Italian friend from New York if he had heard of this and he never had.

IMG_5482.JPG

Porketta: Rolled/tied or bagged pork roast seasoned with many spices with fennel as a main flavoring. Excellent.

View attachment 528028

Pasty: non sweetened pie crust outer stuffed with a combination of beef or burger, cubed veggies usually including carrot, rutabaga, potato, and sometimes turnip.
View attachment 528029

Potato sausage/blood sausage: Ring sausage. Potato sausage primarily came from Scandinavia and blood sausage from Croatia. Blood was added to utilize all parts of a butchered animal. Both are very good.

Wild rice brats/porketta brats/pasty brats: non smoked brats including ingredients from their respective names.
Outstanding!

Porketta really sounds good. Do you fillet, season, roll and tie, or is the seasoning only on the outside?
I really like pork seasoned with Fennel.

The Pastry looks good as well. Pot pie, without the pot.

I used to duck hunt in Louisiana. The locals made a sausage with Pork and Duck, utilizing Duck blood. It was an acquired taste.

Outstanding!

Porketta really sounds good. Do you fillet, season, roll and tie, or is the seasoning only on the outside?
I really like pork seasoned with Fennel.

The Pastry looks good as well. Pot pie, without the pot.
The meat is seasoned then rolled.

Pasty is so much better than pot pie. No gravy in there just meat and vegetable. I butter the crust and put ketchup on the stuffing.

View attachment 528028

View attachment 528029

Where the hell do you live? That's yooper food

I love pastys. We used to have a pasty shop right down the road.

I recently tried pickled northern pike. Holy crap.

Incredible. I was handed a quart jar of it. I handed an empty jar back a little while later. [emoji15]

I have noticed some unique quirks with some food up here that others take as the norm because they don't know any different.

The main one is square cut pizza. Pizza is not sliced but squared. Yep.....squared.

First time that I encountered it as an adult I was like what.....the .......hell.......is.......this.

Two days prior I was having a slice from Luigi at the sub shop down the road from where I lived in delaware. So I was taken back a bit.

When I lived here as a child I may have encountered square pizza but no recollection of it.

I call it Norwegian pizza.

I haven't had a pasty since I was a kid, damn I miss those!

ETA: It isn't really regional but when I was a kid we had macaroni and tomatoes once a week. Just mac and a can of tomatoes, usually from the garden, with salt and pepper. Simple and tasty.

The main one is square cut pizza. Pizza is not sliced but squared. Yep.....squared.

First time that I encountered it as an adult I was like what.....the .......hell.......is.......this.

Two days prior I was having a slice from Luigi at the sub shop down the road from where I lived in delaware. So I was taken back a bit.

When I lived here as a child I may have encountered square pizza but no recollection of it.

I call it Norwegian pizza.
Square cut Pizza is the norm in St. Louis. The national chains serve pie shaped slices, but any local Pizzeria will serve the pie square cut.
Finding a deep dish Pizza at a local pizzeria can be difficult as well.

Square cut Pizza is the norm in St. Louis. The national chains serve pie shaped slices, but any local Pizzeria will serve the pie square cut.
Finding a deep dish Pizza at a local pizzeria can be difficult as well.

Nice.

So the Norwegians don't have the market cornered on that. lol

I absolutely would of never guessed that anywhere other than here served square non-Sicilian pizza.

Nice.

So the Norwegians don't have the market cornered on that. lol

I absolutely would of never guessed that anywhere other than here served square non-Sicilian pizza.
We have a pretty large Italian presence. There's a section of St. Louis that's strictly Italian and has been for a number of years. Most homes are sold by word of mouth and only to those deemed acceptable in the community.
Lots of great little Delicatessens, bakeries and meat shops. Some outstanding restaurants as well.
I always thought square cut Pizza originated here.

We have a pretty large Italian presence. There's a section of St. Louis that's strictly Italian and has been for a number of years. Most homes are sold by word of mouth and only to those deemed acceptable in the community.
Lots of great little Delicatessens, bakeries and meat shops. Some outstanding restaurants as well.
I always thought square cut Pizza originated here.

Oh man I bet there is some really good eating there. Dang.

That's interesting about the realtors.

Just made some ghee (clarified butter) for my climber. It's his birthday and he loves to cook.

Takes about half an hour, and you have to pay attention to what you're doing, but it's very simple and well worth the effort. Lasts forever in the fridge, gets better with age, and you can throw it in a red hot pan and it doesn't burn.

And if you're making curry, ya gotta have ghee. :yes:

Grew up in in Jersey so pork roll, egg and cheese on a hard roll for breakfast.
Sullina was a special treat during cook out. Also referred to as greasy bread. Basically smoked pork fat backs that you roast over an open flame. Once it starts dripping good it gets pressed onto a good slice of rye bread. Load it up with raw onions and peppers. Good stuff.

Back