Regional dishes and cooking methods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moose Vindaloo Curry.

I have to admit, it smells pretty weird. That moose meat has quite the wild aroma.

Homemade curry powder and the moose meat after 24 hours sitting in the Vindaloo paste.
IMG_20170114_131210_zpsixxubdxw.jpg

Dented from my head. :eek:
IMG_20170114_131850_zpsopqsrbdn.jpg

Add the moose.
IMG_20170114_132012_zpsvghgazcq.jpg

Had to shift to a pot so a lid would fit. One hour to go. And this is not a dish for the fragile; the Vindaloo paste marinade had plenty of dried chillies and some small killer fresh Thai chillies were added to the onions. My buddy like his food Hot!
IMG_20170114_133358_zpsxd1jpqim.jpg

Moose Vindaloo Curry.

I have to admit, it smells pretty weird. That moose meat has quite the wild aroma.

Homemade curry powder and the moose meat after 24 hours sitting in the Vindaloo paste.
IMG_20170114_131210_zpsixxubdxw.jpg

Dented from my head. :eek:
IMG_20170114_131850_zpsopqsrbdn.jpg

Add the moose.
IMG_20170114_132012_zpsvghgazcq.jpg

Had to shift to a pot so a lid would fit. One hour to go. And this is not a dish for the fragile; the Vindaloo paste marinade had plenty of dried chillies and some small killer fresh Thai chillies were added to the onions. My buddy like his food Hot!
IMG_20170114_133358_zpsxd1jpqim.jpg
That looks awesome. I thought you were a vegetarian though?

That looks awesome. I thought you were a vegetarian though?

I am, but my buddy asked me to make the Vindaloo for him. He's a terrible cook.

I still cook meat for the kids sometimes when I have to feed them - lest the wife take the scissors to me while I'm sleeping - but it's understood I will not cook beef.

Well it looks fantastic.

Thanks. :)

I thought I was making Butter Chicken for the womenfolk tonight, but they want something else. I just got some fresh raw cashews to make a paste with and that gets added to the sauce for the Butter Chicken, but since they don't want it, I'll make Butter Veggies for me tomorrow night with the cashew paste. :D

View attachment 550844 Crab Shalaw,Tampa Florida

Oh HELL YEAH!!!!!!

When I lived in Delaware there was a seafood place a mile from us that you could buy steamed crabs by the bushel.

Absolutely outstanding. They came in a paper grocery bag. My family ate a lot of them.

You have to eat 40 of them to get filled but oh well. You were usually too hammered by the end to notice.

When I lived at Dewey Beach we would go to all you can eat crab nights. Picnic tables with a sheet of plastic over them and pitchers were non stop.

I'm glad I got to experience that because I highly doubt it is the same now.

Excellent. I grew up in Virginia.
I have been lurking forever, but when you mentioned porketta, pasties and the Iron Range you got me hooked. (and then I looked at the date of the thread - 2009) Well 8 years late, I still remember growing up in Virginia, MN and all the good food and wonderful hard working people. Good memories!

I have been lurking forever, but when you mentioned porketta, pasties and the Iron Range you got me hooked. (and then I looked at the date of the thread - 2009) Well 8 years late, I still remember growing up in Virginia, MN and all the good food and wonderful hard working people. Good memories!
Welcome to the site! What years were you in Virginia? Perhaps we know each other.

For anyone who has been to Pennsylvania Dutch area Shoo Fly Pie. You need a 9 inch pie pan and crust.
3/4 cup Dark Molasses. 1 1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup boiling water 1/4 cup shortening
1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 cup brown sugar
Dissolve soda in boiling water and add molasses. Combine sugar and flour then cut in shortening to form crumbs. Pour 1/3 of liquid into pie crust then add 1/3 crumbs. Alternate layers finishing with crumbs. Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes. You will get a nice gooey bottom Shoo Fly pie.

Back