Reminder! AxMen logging show is tonight at 10pm...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a bit,,,,,,,,,,, they gots to spuce it up to make it exciting,,,,,, but hey its bettern most crap ya see on TV Nowa dayz

Hes got a prosthesis for a leg too!!!!!

You are absolutely right there! I was a little disappointed
in the whole thing though. I though it was going to be something
all us Midwesterners could not understand, but I did not see logs
much different than here lol . Also what happened to floating them
out like in the Henry Fonda movie? Now that would be a cool ride
down the Columbia:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
You are absolutely right there! I was a little disappointed
in the whole thing though. I though it was going to be something
all us Midwesterners could not understand but I did not see logs
much different than here lol . Also what happened to floating them
out like in the Henry Fonda movie? Now that would be a cool ride
down the Columbia:hmm3grin2orange:

Actually...

I see tugboats moving logs South between Whidbey and Camano Island on a regular basis.

Bad manners

Those guys cursed a lot. Shamefull and this is going to set a very poor standard for up and coming young loggers from good homes.

--------------

It is going to be something along the lines of Ice Road Truckers.

Relax. There are only a couple thousand of us that care about technical logging specifics like back-cut height. The History Channel has to make money.

If NASCAR is slow on the number or power of the crashes they have to supplement with fistfights.

With regard to the great shows, American Chopper and John and Kate plus Eight. Even they turned into steady/repeated/never ending analysis by the stars.

Expect those show emphasis 'scripts' here too if the fatality rate doesn't pick up.

------------

I did like the 'calling us Lumberjacks is disrespectful' analysis by the son.

They were capturing the flavor of the gypo/logger well.

---------------

All I really want is a touch football game in the last episode.

Last edited:
Those guys cursed a lot. Shamefull and this is going to set a very poor standard for up and coming young loggers from good homes.

--------------

It is going to be something along the lines of Ice Road Truckers.

Relax. There are only a couple thousand of us that care about technical logging specifics like back-cut height.

------------

I did like the 'Lumberjack label was disrespectful' analysis by the son.
They were capturing the flavor of the gypo/logger well.

---------------

All I really want is a touch football game in the last episode.

Yep,,,,, and the dude that had been loggin 30+ years that ran the huskey that took down that head leaner!!!!! it was hauling the mail!!!!!! later they had a shot of him with his saw and Gypo Jugs,,, over his shoulder walking

Last edited:
Pretty hairy

There wasn't that much slope there.

The ground can and often does get a lot steeper in the PNW.

I would suggest that the wind break sale being worked may be just about as dangerous as you'll find. Regardless of slope.

I'm going to have to watch it again, (got it TiVo'd), and study the fallers on that real estate.

The movie Ghandi and AxMen

Ghandi was story boarded where only one short scene made it into the movie that wasn't in the planned filming sequence.

I wonder how much of AxMen has been story boarded?

Let's say, about none of it.

-------------------------------

Can you picture following loggers around for 'what is going to happen now' shots?

Sorta? They are hyping it up quite a bit.

Playing around with safety also. That guy playing around with the cable bying uncoiled by the heli and whipping around !!!!???

Harry K

Yea I'd say he is as dumd as on eof those stumps out there. he could have used something besides his hands. It almost got one of his legs or worse it would have drug him thru the brush skinnin him like a rabbit.

Do you think crab fishermen have some of the same critiques of the "Deadliest Catch"?

I suspect that where ever there are shows about professionals doing a job, there are people who do that very same job w/o the cameras who pick apart the show. It's TV, just because it's on the "History Channel" doesn't exempt them from sensationalizing the crap out of it. So, did anyone like it?

I didn't think it was to bad. I saw a few dumb mistakes that may have not happened if the camera's were not there. Those guys sure do work hard though, I would like to try that for a few weeks. I look forward to watching the other shows.:clap:

There wasn't that much slope there.

The ground can and often does get a lot steeper in the PNW.

I would suggest that the wind break sale being worked may be just about as dangerous as you'll find. Regardless of slope.

I'm going to have to watch it again, (got it TiVo'd), and study the fallers on that real estate.

We used to layout and work on pretty much vertical ground. I am glad we don't anymore. Things got too crazy. I'm not going to criticize them for that.
Steep is what you are not used to working on. I was delighted when I went from Oregon to the Midwest to find that 30% was extreme. A lot easier on the body.
Trying to unkink the line while the helicopter was pulling it? I wonder if the guy was trying to show off? The one with the radio looked plumb worried to me and that would be real.
High stumping the leaner? I wouldn't worry about it unless I found pieces all over the place. Then we'd have a civilized chat.
But, motorized carriages are a weak link. They take a lot of abuse, but will break down more than anything else. You bang them around too much and parts will come loose, like the radio antenna and they won't work. The other common breakdown is the clamping mechanism will freeze and you've got 900 pounds of metal stuck on the skyline halfway down the hill. I've seen a crew repeatedly ram the carriage into a tail tree, then wonder why it broke down a lot. They really need to be more careful with it.
A twister is a doubled up piece of haywire, hooked from the tailhold to another tree or stump. You grab a thick limb, about 4 inches thick by 3 feet, put it in the middle of the two lines and twist them tight. This reinforces the tailhold and makes it less likely to pull. The tricky part is undoing the twister.
We have shallower soils here and one (big enough to probably not be gypo)outfit really goes crazy with the twisters but they haven't had problems pulling over tail trees either. Well, till the snow melts, this show is all the logging I'm going to be around. At least I'm not having to wade through the brush to view it. Much easier on the shins this way.:clap:

I didn't think it was to bad. I saw a few dumb mistakes that may have not happened if the camera's were not there. Those guys sure do work hard though, I would like to try that for a few weeks. I look forward to watching the other shows.:clap:

Me too, regardless of the "show" quality to it. I look forward to seeing the equipment in operation............alot of those techniques you will not see east of the Rockies.

Me too, regardless of the "show" quality to it. I look forward to seeing the equipment in operation............alot of those techniques you will not see east of the Rockies.

I have seen ground here in Ar that steep and steeper, not as tall of mountains but steep never the less! The Ozarks you can't even get a yarder in place to drag logs out but I liked the show even in its glory, Where was Gary :laugh:

So please tell me that someone is recording it for us "rabbit ears on top of the TV" kind of folk...

Ian

We used to layout and work on pretty much vertical ground. I am glad we don't anymore. Things got too crazy. I'm not going to criticize them for that.
Steep is what you are not used to working on. I was delighted when I went from Oregon to the Midwest to find that 30% was extreme. A lot easier on the body.
Trying to unkink the line while the helicopter was pulling it? I wonder if the guy was trying to show off? The one with the radio looked plumb worried to me and that would be real.
High stumping the leaner? I wouldn't worry about it unless I found pieces all over the place. Then we'd have a civilized chat.
But, motorized carriages are a weak link. They take a lot of abuse, but will break down more than anything else. You bang them around too much and parts will come loose, like the radio antenna and they won't work. The other common breakdown is the clamping mechanism will freeze and you've got 900 pounds of metal stuck on the skyline halfway down the hill. I've seen a crew repeatedly ram the carriage into a tail tree, then wonder why it broke down a lot. They really need to be more careful with it.
A twister is a doubled up piece of haywire, hooked from the tailhold to another tree or stump. You grab a thick limb, about 4 inches thick by 3 feet, put it in the middle of the two lines and twist them tight. This reinforces the tailhold and makes it less likely to pull. The tricky part is undoing the twister.
We have shallower soils here and one (big enough to probably not be gypo)outfit really goes crazy with the twisters but they haven't had problems pulling over tail trees either. Well, till the snow melts, this show is all the logging I'm going to be around. At least I'm not having to wade through the brush to view it. Much easier on the shins this way.:clap:
Thanks for the info on twisters P. I use those alot in fencing but we used a different technique with the yarder.

BTW Stump Branch posts in the logging forum. Look for Mindy, though I don't remember her screen name.

Well, I watched it and felt like yelling at the one crew. Why didn't they have their carriage tied off to the tube when they were walking the Madill up the road? Looked like they were dragging it along which is not good for a motorized carriage. That was the Pihl crew, which was most like the small gypo outfits around here. Also, the helicopter would most likely hit the disconnect switch dropping the lines before "Plummeting to the ground."
Other than the narration, pretty realistic so far. It is strange to see stumpholds without twisters hooked to them and roads that aren't rocked.
The grumbling of the chaser who had to go back in the brush was normal. Just couldn't stand the carriage abuse.:cry: :bang:
Hello all; I have posted on this quote only because I have read and seen the term " gypo " used in many threads and being from the East coast of Canada I am not familiar with its meaning. Would someone that knows what it means kindly explain it for me. I have worked the woods all my life and know there is different terminology used all across America and just like to know what people use this term for. Many thanks in advance. Pioneerguy600

Gypo

Hello all; I have posted on this quote only because I have read and seen the term " gypo " used in many threads and being from the East coast of Canada I am not familiar with its meaning. Would someone that knows what it means kindly explain it for me. I have worked the woods all my life and know there is different terminology used all across America and just like to know what people use this term for. Many thanks in advance. Pioneerguy600

It usually means a small, independent logger, as opposed to one of the major companies, like Weyerhauser or Sierra Pacific.
The big companies hire the smaller companies, gypos, to do the actual logging.
It's also used to describe small trucking outfits.
The derivation of the word is subject to debate but it's usually not used in an insulting manner unless you want to fight. As in... I can call myself a gypo but if you call me one you better smile when you say that, partner.:)
Some people claim it came from the word "gypsy" which is what a lot of the old time loggers were...they moved from place to place following the work. Other people claim it comes from the word gyp...to cheat or swindle.
Another school of thought is that it came from Georgia Pacific Operations.
Take your pick...it's an ancient term that seems predominant on the Left Coast.
Hope this helps.

It usually means a small, independent logger, as opposed to one of the major companies, like Weyerhauser or Sierra Pacific.
The big companies hire the smaller companies, gypos, to do the actual logging.
It's also used to describe small trucking outfits.
The derivation of the word is subject to debate but it's usually not used in an insulting manner unless you want to fight. As in... I can call myself a gypo but if you call me one you better smile when you say that, partner.:)
Some people claim it came from the word "gypsy" which is what a lot of the old time loggers were...they moved from place to place following the work. Other people claim it comes from the word gyp...to cheat or swindle.
Another school of thought is that it came from Georgia Pacific Operations.
Take your pick...it's an ancient term that seems predominant on the Left Coast.
Hope this helps.
Thanks much Gologit; I thought it may have some connection to the term " gypsy" as in always on the move. The term " tramping " was used on this coast in a similar way. Pioneerguy600

Back