Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First of all, good luck finding an Oregon rim drive setup for one.[emoji849]

Secondly stick with a .404" x 7.

Third, .404" x .058" gauge is nearly extinct.

I am planning on getting a "blank" from 6Kproducts, then having a friend mill a 1/2" square hole in it.

Why do you think I should stick with a 7 pin instead of an 8 or 9 pin?

I have 100+ feet of brand new .404" x .058" chisel chain.... so no problems there.

Oh, wait, a gear drive.

Planetary or gear reduction?

Planetary:
12824e08672d6d9d512045033339b875.jpg

About 1.5:1 reduction.

Today I picked up a John Deere chainsaw. I know it is a rebadged Remington. Anyone have an idea as to what model? I plan to rebuild the carburetor and clean everything and probably re-paint.
Thanks
b34fe09e0cfda9a18d0c244ff8b243cf.jpg
960dff793641394431ef09ae04e90029.jpg
ca23323657bb4c6716997fe263be57ec.jpg

It looks clean under the filter cover.
8d124d1d0fb0e7388b875e6e76be90cc.jpg

I wish the roller nose bar wasn't so rusted up.
8d8426f8ef9a71f34c297352334e7192.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And please excuse the parking lot pictures. I work on my saws when I go home on weekends.

That is a John Deere 15, aka rebadged SL-10. The oil tank fill gives it away. Pretty sure it's 51cc

Looking at pictures online. It looks like it is. Thanks. I am pretty excited about it. It looks to be in great condition under all the dirt. There is a small break in the clutch cover on the top by the muffler. I'll probably not replace the clutch cover as it's not too noticeable. Someone does have a NOS one on eBay so I'm kinda torn on whether I'll replace it or not. I guess I should worry about getting it running first.

That's how I want mine to look. Where did you get the rubber grip on the wrap handle? I'm assuming you replaced it.
By the way, nice work on the restoration! It looks new.

Check at Depotparts.com, they have old Remington/Deere saw parts. Be aware, this is like a LAST RESORT, they are insanely expensive, and you have to purchase through a Deere dealer.

They may have one or two rubber handle grips left...

I once ordered 4 little o-rings that go on the screw of the auto oiler adjuster... They're sooo small they look like fly crap. Paid $54 plus $12 shipping for four pieces of fly crap that didn't weigh more than .02 ounces. But they work.
(Yes I tried McMasterCarr and about everywhere else first. Had to buy from Depotparts, nobody else had anything even remotely close.)

Check at Depotparts.com, they have old Remington/Deere saw parts. Be aware, this is like a LAST RESORT, they are insanely expensive, and you have to purchase through a Deere dealer.

They may have one or two rubber handle grips left...

I once ordered 4 little o-rings that go on the screw of the auto oiler adjuster... They're sooo small they look like fly crap. Paid $54 plus $12 shipping for four pieces of fly crap that didn't weigh more than .02 ounces. But they work.
(Yes I tried McMasterCarr and about everywhere else first. Had to buy from Depotparts, nobody else had anything even remotely close.)

Yikes! That's really expensive. Thanks for the info. Maybe my oiler will still work.

Back