Remington SL55 clutch removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike57

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Remington SL55, I need to remove the clutch. I have the sprocket off. Its a fairbanks morse clutch. It says "outside off". I don't want to break it, and I don't know what outside off means. I want the whole thing off. Do I turn in the direction of the arrow like I think, or not. I already snapped a drill bit doing it that way, so I thought I should ask someone that knows.

Attachments

• CLUTCH.jpg
    CLUTCH.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
Remove the muffler and block the piston with a rectangular piece of softwood. Chuck two twist drill bits.shank end up, in a bench vice spaced to fit the holes. Turn the saw and hold the clutch. Left hand threads.

a6d38b92644cd16c5dbbed752bf0ef99.jpg

Why is it I can find absolutely no information on the sl55 on the internet. Its like it doesn't exist. All the PL's and all the SL's, but no SL55. The one auto oil hole is plugged at the tank,but the holes in the cylinder are not. I can't find a diagram, or any existence of an SL55. Any help out there

Attachments

• hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • hole1.jpg
    hole1.jpg
    543.5 KB · Views: 6
  • hole2.jpg
    hole2.jpg
    901.3 KB · Views: 5
Why is it I can find absolutely no information on the sl55 on the internet. Its like it doesn't exist. All the PL's and all the SL's, but no SL55. The one auto oil hole is plugged at the tank,but the holes in the cylinder are not. I can't find a diagram, or any existence of an SL55. Any help out there

That is the compression release hole. Takes a pin with a hole cross drilled in it.

SL-55 has comp release. PL-55 don't.

Lever/handle on end of pin engages fast idle latch.

PM your email to me so I can send the SL-55 IPL.

That is the compression release hole. Takes a pin with a hole cross drilled in it.

SL-55 has comp release. PL-55 don't.

Lever/handle on end of pin engages fast idle latch.

PM your email to me so I can send the SL-55 IPL.
I've got a PL-55 with a compression release, and without the automatic oiler.
CAM04401[1].jpg CAM04402[1].jpg
There were also special tools made for removing the clutches on these old Remingtons. I believe this is actually a Homelite tool because it also has the smaller, closer pins for smaller Homelite clutches. I have no PN, and I don't know what this tool is called, I purchased it locally at a flea market in a box full of manuals.
CAM04403[1].jpg CAM04404[1].jpg
This one is just a spanner wrench; it also works great for removing clutches, but does not work as well on the models that the muffler cannot be removed from. (PL-6, PL-7, SL-7)
CAM04405[1].jpg
I'll post a diagram of the SL-55 on my next post, since I can't fit any more pics on this post.

This is how I got the saw. Someone was going to throw it out, my son gave it to me to play with. Will any fuel filter do? I don't think I'll be able to clean that felt filter enough to let gas through. Can't believe the fuel line is still pliable,though. Washed the lumps of varnished crud out of the tank 4 or 5 times with nuts and bolts and carb cleaner, lacquer thinner, whatever else I had. Looks pretty good. I can see the blue now.

Attachments

• Filth.jpg
    Filth.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
If it has a plain fuel line with a weighted, one piece removable filter I would replace the old filter with a new one. If it has the original fuel line with a felt filter pressed into the end of it I would take it out and try to clean it with breakcleaner as good as possible. Replacement felt can be difficult to find, so it's easier to clean the old one.

Sent from my LGL15G using Tapatalk

Well, I got this thing running, I put some bar oil in, and yup, smoked like hell. There's a check valve in the elbow that comes out of the tank.(see pic). But the fitting that screws into the crankcase is open. How is that going to keep oil from getting in? Shouldn't that also have a check valve?

Attachments

• REMCHECK.jpg
    REMCHECK.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
Back