Removal Advice and pricing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate the insight and information I got. The tree ended up going for $900 to another bidder. I ended up bidding $1390.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Win some, lose some:angry:

Yessir. Had I not specd an Articulating Boom Lift into the bid I would have been a lot closer. The lift accounted for $300 of my bid, I just didn't feel comfortable climbing because of the fungus at the top. I'm obviously very new to climbing and was concerned that due to the fungus there may be some rot up there, although I think I was being overly cautious.

A few years I bid a job with about 5-7 trees to be removed, but to leave some of the trunk standing. Soon there after the job was on my schedule a couple weeks later the job was started. After agreeing to all the terms the customer called me to tell me he had changed his mind about some of the work citing reasons that his neighbor wanted some of the wood and they had already hired another contractor. The original bid was about $3,000 so just wanted to get out to another. With all this in mind I sent my help to another lucrative project. After a couple of days of rigging and trimming the the finish was in sight. Then the last tree to go was an fairly large Oak. Soon I realized it was totally over whelmed with fire red ants. After climbing it a couple times it became evident that a different approach was needed. My arms and legs looked like chicken pox or worse. So for the next week I struggled through the process with some strapped ladders so as not to have so much exposure to the ants. Finally it was down and cleaned up. As it turned out several other contractors had given much higher estimates and they did not want to work with the trees next to the power lines. So several lessons learned. Many other contractors leave their customers with a mess that they have to clean up. So not all lost jobs are a loss. Actually some lost jobs are a win win. Thanks

This lost job actually turned out to be a huge win. The $900 he bid to take down that tree wasn't just to take down that tree, that also included trimming 13 20' + palm trees. I'm going to go out on a limb here (pun intended) and say that guy isn't dumping legally, licensed, insured, carrying workers comp or not a fellon. You could make more money bagging groceries at Publix around here at that price, with benefits and working in the A/C.

This lost job actually turned out to be a huge win. The $900 he bid to take down that tree wasn't just to take down that tree, that also included trimming 13 20' + palm trees. I'm going to go out on a limb here (pun intended) and say that guy isn't dumping legally, licensed, insured, carrying workers comp or not a fellon. You could make more money bagging groceries at Publix around here at that price, with benefits and working in the A/C.

Yeah it's always amazing how cheap trims get done for when in actuality trimming, especially trimming proper, takes longer. I personally hate trimming here, trying to explain to the ho the 25% per trim cycle and hearing the other guy was cheaper and ,and he was going to take out half the tree:laughing: Most here do not care about their trees. I can count on ten fingers the customers who were serious enough to actually listen to why topping is bad. I did a job start of this year I completely reduced the canopy on, I ended up giving the work away. I gave it away because; even though I explained 25 % at bidding time I could tell by her attitude she was unhappy and wanted more off etc. I had already spent more time than I wanted on the job. I told her I will not accept payment for the trims and pointed up halfway on the mature elms and said if i had cut everything to there you would have been happy am I right? She of course nodded yes, I figured it better to give her the job rather than risk bad word being spread. People here care only about roofs and won't understand smaller reduction cuts minimize the hazards while preserving their trees. I actually took a job now because it just was not worth the hassle.

you would be surprised at the prices larger companies with the proper equipment bid at. Lower than you, but they are in and out and on to the next one

Hire a professional before you kill yourself!!!!! Is $2000 worth not going home to your kids???

Latest posts

Back