Removing Stubborn Gasket Material

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looks like the ticket. So what's the correct mandrel/holder for that smaller bristle disk? Been searching for a while and have only come up with a 1/4" shank #07500 holder that's 1" in diameter corresponding with the brush, but it only references two types of disks, neither of which is the one in your link.

And there sure are a boatload of 3m products to weed through out there!

I think the roloc mandrels are all pretty standard, except some will have a bigger backing pad... you can easily put a 3" on a 2" mandrel though

Those one inch medium bristle disks are nice, but a bigger one is easier to use on an edge. Those are great for cleaning a head, but for an intake or I'm guessing saw case, they're harder to keep on the small edge.

As others have said, scotch bright rolocs. I use them in a 1/4" right angle air grinder to remove gaskets. Effortless.

I worked in an automotive machine shop for a long time and I've seen too many ruined gasket surfaces from scotch brite or bristle pads. Get yourself a Super Scraper, they are actually made just north of me in Cedar Rapids. The sharp carbide will take anything off, the key is to pull it across the surface when you get close to having all the gasket shaved off, pushing it can dig into the material if you're not careful.

SS_group_Edit.jpg

I worked in an automotive machine shop for a long time and I've seen too many ruined gasket surfaces from scotch brite or bristle pads. Get yourself a Super Scraper, they are actually made just north of me in Cedar Rapids. The sharp carbide will take anything off, the key is to pull it across the surface when you get close to having all the gasket shaved off, pushing it can dig into the material if you're not careful.

SS_group_Edit.jpg
DAMN Scott....couldn't figure out how to post of them. I have one also,, i now NEVER use a gasket scraper like the old types!!! now I need the two smaller ones!!! where to get them from???

Not the stuff I'm talkin' about. Tried pretty much everything suggested here before even starting the thread....which is why I started it. I'm leaning toward the 3M Roloc Bristle disc for a few reasons, not the least of which is because it's what it was actually designed to do in the first place. Found the 2" versions of the yellow discs at an area Federated and a way overpriced mandrel/holder at an O'Reilly....still cheaper than buying online once ya get hit with the $18.00 shipping for a $13.00 purchase. I'll find out tomorrow how well it's gonna work.

Back