Rent a Bucket Truck or Hire the Job Out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stop telling him that I want to go have some funnn. He could go rent a 6" chipper and over a weekend chip all the small stuff. Or better yet rent a slightly biggrr chipper be on site with a couple Buddies while we cut they can run it all through a chipper as we go. It looks like all those trees were topped years ago, all the regrowth looks like easy peasy chippable material. Blow the tops out throw the climber a bottle of water let them chip for a few mins then start loggin!
It'll look like a mine field when we're done but nothing a couple wheelbarrows of dirt won't fix. Dirt is cheap.
Come on Missel I've never been to NY b4 I'm down for a road trip!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Now that's the type of response I was looking for!

I have several large cottonwood trees in my backyard that I'd like to remove completely and a few I'd like to take some height off. They are just shi**y trees that drop large branches once in awhile and I get nervous when the kids are playing out back. They are approximately 100' tall and 3+' in diameter. I got a quote for $15k which seems quite high to me. I've cut down a large maple before from an 85' bucket truck and am considering that option but would rather hire this one out but I just cannot afford $15k! Looking from some feedback on the feasibility of doing this myself or recommendations on a company/individual in the area (Rochester, NY) who would do the work at a more reasonable price. Thanks!
View attachment 565388
I'll do it for 40k:buttkick:Cottonwood stinks won't hinge breaks if you step over 3 feet out on a huge limb. Did I say i don't like cottonwood and it stinks? That is a lot of it too; seriously 15k too cheap.

I'll do it for 40k:buttkick:Cottonwood stinks won't hinge breaks if you step over 3 feet out on a huge limb. Did I say i don't like cottonwood and it stinks? That is a lot of it too; seriously 15k too cheap.

They smell like a swamp, their limbs are heavy and weak, they drop leaves at least a foot deep in the fall, and it snows fluff for weeks in the summer completely covering window screens...and that's why I want them gone!

BTW I have several companies coming to give me quotes.

We don't pay sales tax on services here in IL do you in NY?

Yea those trees are no way 100' maybe 70' to the tips of the tallest. The difference between 70 and 100 sounds like a little but in reality it makes a lot more work. And those trees if they ever do make it to 100 will be very dangerous do to the previous topping

Why don't you call 5-10 reputable tree companies and get prices. Be specific with what you want and tell the companies the exact same thing. I bid jobs all the time where people say maybe we could do "this or this", put it in the estimate. Then when I'm $1200 bucks higher than the other guy that didn't bid "this and this" they say you are too high this guy is $1200 lower than you. But they didn't have the other guy bid the same work... You can't compare prices unless the work being quoted is EXACTLY THE SAME.

The swing rope isn't quite 10' (go measure it if you doubt me) and the tree isn't anywhere near 10x the length of the rope.

The swing branch is actually 18' tall so ya they are over 100' tall!

Yea those trees are no way 100' maybe 70' to the tips of the tallest. The difference between 70 and 100 sounds like a little but in reality it makes a lot more work. And those trees if they ever do make it to 100 will be very dangerous do to the previous topping

The quote I received had tax as a line item so I guess we do pay tax on services which is BS but that's the way NY is. The trees are indeed or 100' and yes they are very dangerous!

Well I don't know. We don't pay tax on capital improvements like furnaces ac's water heaters and so on. I'm getting a garage door and there's no tax but I don't think trees are capital improvement.

Missel have you called your insurance company to see if they will cover any of the removal if they are dangerous? I have herd sometimes they will.

A climber is just as dead falling 25 feet as he is falling 75 feet:rolleyes: I agree however here was a hunerd footer only half of it can be seen!!!

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 27
Why are you intent on an 18' swing rope? It sure doesn't look like that. It looks 10' at most.

I bet you don't post a pic of a person standing at the base of that tree.

Why are you intent on an 18' swing rope? It sure doesn't look like that. It looks 10' at most.

I bet you don't post a pic of a person standing at the base of that tree.

hahaha...I insist because I used a F'n tape measure! If I were to post a picture of someone standing next to it I'm sure you'll question the authenticity of the picture or the height of the person or maybe even imply I used a midget stunt double. The picture was also taken from 200' away, not right at the base of the tree like your pic. Get over it man they are way taller than you think

hahaha...I insist because I used a F'n tape measure! If I were to post a picture of someone standing next to it I'm sure you'll question the authenticity of the picture or the height of the person or maybe even imply I used a midget stunt double. The picture was also taken from 200' away, not right at the base of the tree like your pic. Get over it man they are way taller than you think
I didn't post a picture, but thanks for the explanation.

Man I'm just messin' with ya. I'm sure they are 116' if you say so.

Back