Renting out a Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourwould

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just bought a log splitter. Nothing fancy, single wedge 22 ton with a 5 hp b&s. I would like to rent it out to recoup some expense and maybe make a little passive income. Would appreciate any input on the subject, especially concerning theft and liability. I was thinking of a simple day rate, maybe a weekend discount, and a small fee for delivery/pick up.

Also been toying with the idea of a splitting service but I'm unsure if it's worth it in my area.

I wouldn't do it.I suggest splitting firewood and selling that to get some passive income.There's too much liability involved when inexperienced individuals run heavy equipment.Accidents will happen and when accidents occur while using a hydraulic splitter you know what can happen, that is a separate thread.

Also your splitter will get abused by others.Splitting 100 75" rounds of 2 year seasoned Euc.It happened to a friend of mine.

I'd advise against it. Be more worried about abuse and wear than theft or liability. Some people shouldn't be allowed to use motorized equipment, and others have no respect for equipment that isn't theirs. You will encounter both types in the rental business.

For me if my splitter goes I go, but there is a guy here in ct that runs a add on craigs list and he has two of them he rents out with or without him. I have seen his add for a couple of years now.

How do you guys charge for splitting services? Bucking included? I saw some other threads on the subject but they were old. Charge by the hour or by the cord? I think I would do a set up fee or minimum.

For reference, I'd say a split cord is about $225 to buy outright in my area.

As far as I can tell on Craigslist, no one else in the area is advertising for the service. There's one guy about 2 hours from me charging $25 an hour, that seems low.

A local rental company has two box store speedco splitters he rents out by the day. I used to rent one of them every year before I built my own splitter. I forget the daily rate, Around $50-$60 I think. Anyways, I think he had the pressures set low to prevent folks from abusing the machines because some of the wood I split with them I would have to hit it several times before the wedge would go thru the rounds. Cyl would bog down but the motor wouldnt. I also always had to tighten bolts and other routine maintenance before using the splitter. Rental company would pressure wash the machine between rentals, but thats about all the maintenance they would do to them. When you figure the cost of building and owning a splitter against the cost of renting one for a day, it really doesnt pay to own. For someone splitting for commercial sales, it doesnt make sense to rent. I have never rented out my splitter to anyone, but I have lent it to a few friends I trust and sometimes I go help them and sometimes I just let them take it and bring it back.. I usally get paid back by them helping me in some way. Last time I lent it was a few months ago before my knee replacement. Not being able to do much after the surgery, my place was starting to get over grown. The guy came by and saw the weeds and just grabbed his weed eater and went to work. Wouldnt let me pay him and said he doesnt forget the folks that have helped him. Needless to say, he took good care of my splitter when he had it and he can borrow it again when he needs it.

You will do much better selling firewood. $50 or $150 is nothing compared to the amount of interaction and risk of breakage to your equipment. Sell a few cords of wood and you will pay for your splitter before you know it. I don't rent or lend anything to anybody anymore. If I like them enough, I just do it for them on my schedule or if I don't like them so much my response is usually "Oh That POS, It's Broken Again". All the equipment I have came to me as cheap as possible, abused, in need of repairs and was paid for with my sweat and blood working after hours.

Don't do it, you'll end up spending more to fix the stuff the morons you rent to break than you earn from it. You have heard, "Drive it like it's a rental", right?

Latest posts

Back