Replace Poulan 2150 16" bar/chain with Oregon 18" bar/chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristin

Reaction score
Hello—I'm looking to replace the bar/chain on my Poulan 2150 with an Oregon bar/chain. The saw came with a 16" bar, but using the bar selector on the Oregon site, it gives the option to choose an 18" bar when selecting a replacement. Is it OK to replace a 16" bar with an 18" bar? I could really use the extra 2" for some light milling work I'll be doing with the saw. But, just not sure if it's OK to step up bar sizes, or if I need to remain at 16"?

Thanks,
Kristin.

Welcome aboard! That saw is best suited for a 14" or 16" bar and was never intended for any sort of milling.

Thanks Guido, I think I'll stick with the 16" bar.

And I don't use it for any heavy-duty milling—just cut some boards here and there when I have extra logs (for making sitting-around-the-campfire furniture). I've been using the 2150 for as long as I can remember, and it's still cutting away and has never given me any grief. So I'll keep working it until it gives up the ghost (at which point, I'll upgrade to a more suitable saw).

Thanks again!
Kristin.

310857AA-353C-44F5-9D81-CC569ED19B89.JPG

Lots of those around, sometimes they can be had for $10 and need new fuel lines and a carb kit. If you like that model, keep an eye out for "extras".

Hello—I'm looking to replace the bar/chain on my Poulan 2150 with an Oregon bar/chain. The saw came with a 16" bar, but using the bar selector on the Oregon site, it gives the option to choose an 18" bar when selecting a replacement. Is it OK to replace a 16" bar with an 18" bar? I could really use the extra 2" for some light milling work I'll be doing with the saw. But, just not sure if it's OK to step up bar sizes, or if I need to remain at 16"?

Thanks,
Kristin.

Thanks,
Kristin.

If your chain is sharp, well oiled and motor strong it should be fine as long as you don't push down on the saw. I've ran a 20 inch bar for years on my 2150.
Most people put downward pressure on the saw thinking the saw cuts faster. My left hand could be lifted when Bucking if it were not for the chance of kickback. Many times I've shown people that a saw PULLS it's self, feeds it's self while cutting with gravity and cuts at it's own speed. The biggest mistake I see is people laying the chain on a log while the motor idles then slowly adding power.
I prefer to add full power half inch above the log then slowly lower into the cut with the saw dogs against the log. Then let the saw do the work with a gentle lowering of the handle then raise until the bar is horizontal. I call that, rocking the tip. All the time the front of the saw dogs are resting snuggly against the log. Nothing bugs me more than seeing someone pulling and pushing a Chainsaw like it's a non powered saw. I've hired guys who believed they could operate a Chainsaw but had no concept. For a beginner the 2150 is a good saw to learn on. Saws with AV can be damaged when someone pinches the tip then tries to rock and pull the chain free. I've seen the rubber AV torn so badly I had to replace the AV in my Sthil 026. A solid old Poulan with low cc motor is my training saw. Maybe I should keep mine.

Back