Replacement Engine For Older Huskee 22 Ton Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trout 2003

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've done a bunch of searches not only here but also general google searches trying to get some certainty on this to no avail. I've got a Husky (Speeco) 22 ton log splitter with a Briggs 650 Series 190CC engine (Model 124T02-0121-B1) on it. After 7-8 years and many many hours of service it's time to replace it. I went for a search and of course that engine is not more. I'm fairly mechanically capable but I have never replaced an engine before and was hoping to find an exact match so I could pretty much 'plug and play' but am having a LOT of trouble understanding what I need to purchase. Does anyone know if the Briggs 675 series would be a match for the shaft and bolt pattern? If not is anyone familiar with this swap and what I should be looking for. What a disappointment this was today when I tried to get it going. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Try Small Engine Warehouse out of Indiana. They have a large selection to choose from.

Hello everyone. I've done a bunch of searches not only here but also general google searches trying to get some certainty on this to no avail. I've got a Husky (Speeco) 22 ton log splitter with a Briggs 650 Series 190CC engine (Model 124T02-0121-B1) on it. After 7-8 years and many many hours of service it's time to replace it. I went for a search and of course that engine is not more. I'm fairly mechanically capable but I have never replaced an engine before and was hoping to find an exact match so I could pretty much 'plug and play' but am having a LOT of trouble understanding what I need to purchase. Does anyone know if the Briggs 675 series would be a match for the shaft and bolt pattern? If not is anyone familiar with this swap and what I should be looking for. What a disappointment this was today when I tried to get it going. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
When my 30 year old Briggs engine needed replacing I spent about an hour on the phone with Briggs and some other company. They finally were able to cross reference me to a complete match that bolted up to my old splitter and pump.

Briggs and Stratton is an absolute and total disgrace of a company. . . they have sold over priced substandard crap engines along with Tecumseh for way too long.
Buy anything from Harbor Freight. . .at least they sell excellent quality engines at reasonable prices...

As many mentioned, Predator engine. You will not be disappointed. If not the first pull...it always starts on the second pull. I picked mine up on Craig's for a buck fitty with a receipt that showed a two year warranty purchased with it. I think a lot of people were sceptacle when they started hitting the market but if you do searches I think you'll find more positives than negatives. Good Luck!

Can't go wrong with the predator. Also search craigslist for pressure washers needing a pump. I scored a 13hp Honda GX for $125 that way. Put it on my Huskee with a bigger 16gpm pump. Cycle time is better.

If it's the vertical engine, don't be afraid to try and rearrange everything to a horizontal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harbor freight! Never look back perfect match great engine. why bother with all the b s of calling b/s company ?? funny how so many people mind screw everything to death!!!!!!

Thanks the feedback everyone. The last post was what I needed for a perfect match although did I not read somewhere that I need to adjust the shaft to fit the pump???? Something about a 'lovejoy' connector which I have no clue what that is but will figure it out. I take it the Harbor Freight Predator is a particular engine or is it a series of engines with the predator name that. Will I still need to match up a size with a certain model of predator? I have a Harbor about 5 minutes from my house so I'll have to swing by and see if they have it in stock. Thanks for being patient with me in what I feel may be stupid questions. Ive been heating my home with wood for about 10 years now but this is the first major issue I've had with any equipment so I'm feeling really 'green'.

Predator is the engine product line at HF. Assuming you have a 6.5hp BS horizontal the predator 6.5hp should be a direct swap. If you have the vertical, you'll have to see if it's a match. HF has a 6.5hp 9hp and 13hp horizontal predator motors and I think a 5.5 hp vertical?

Verify shaft diameter shaft length keyway size and bolt flange pattern. They are all pretty standard at that size unless you start trying to use a generator motor for a splitter or something creative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovejoy.jpg
this is the Lovejoy coupler it connects the engine to the pump.

Most Farm stores have them in stock if the new 3/4" Predator engine shaft is larger than the BS shaft. they are relativity inexpensive to buy.

As far as engine size, you will want to get the Predator 6.5hp model. I just got a flyer in the mail that said my Harbor Freight is having a parking lot sale on March 10th and that engine will be on sale for $99, normally it runs around $119.

I just updated my 20ton MTD from a 5hp Briggs to the 6.5hp Horizontal Predator from Harbor Freight. Took about 2 hours to mod the mounting holes and trimming the shaft a little shorter. For 119 and a few beers, I was back in business and starting on the 1st or 2nd pull all weekend. Loving the new motor.

Briggs and Stratton is an absolute and total disgrace of a company. . . they have sold over priced substandard crap engines along with Tecumseh for way too long.
Buy anything from Harbor Freight. . .at least they sell excellent quality engines at reasonable prices...

B&S-Overpriced ,sure, lets face it ,costs much more to make anything in the U.S. than in China.Sub standard,hardly.Of the dozen B&S I've owned I had 2 failures and they both had many hours before they crapped out.Every one was an easy starter too.Sooner or later they all wear out.Same with Tecumseh-20 years before it died.I have one Chonda,no real complaints but it's not as good a starter as any of the B&S's.Course I've had great luck with Kohler and Wisconsin also.You've got to change the oil in any of them to help them last and a lot of people don't know enough to do it or just don't bother.

Yes I have to agree that my Briggs served it purpose and served it well. I split and stack 14 cords annually not to mention the other couple of cords I do for the elderly neighbor as a favor. That's a lot of hours for that little residential engine. If I could buy the exact engine again I probably would but since they discontinued it they'll probably lose my business. Not out of spite but out of options.

So here is my last stupid question for today. How do I know if my engine is a vertical or horizontal shaft? Just looking at it I think it's obvious that the shaft is a vertical shaft but I'm not square on the difference. I'll take a few pics in a bit.

If the pump is under the motor it's vertical
If the pump is to the side of the motor it's horizontal

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Looks like the HF predator vertical is 5.5hp should just be enough for the 11gpm 2stage pump on the huskee Need to check the shafts and mounting pattern against your BS to see if it will match up or can be tweaked to work

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Back