Replacement Engine For Older Huskee 22 Ton Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
show me somebody who's cyl is a "homemade jobby" that would be great to be able to build your own cyl's.
I was referring to the whole splitter as homemade. It is possible to make your own hydraulic cylinders though. All ya need is a machine shop. Plenty of guys on here have the necessary tools in their home shops. Usually it's not cost effective to build over buying pre-made because of mass production. I have owned a dozen different hydraulic cylinders without chrome shafts in them. Hydraulic shops in the old days used to stock the shaft sizes in regular iron and make what was needed right in house. It works, is cheaper, and faster than sending something out to be chrome plated and waiting 2 months to get the impliment back in service

I paid $119 for the 173cc and I purchased the 15-month, no questions asked warranty for $30. A great deal. I did not have the option of waiting for the sale.

I got it screwed on this morning and everything works fine. I need to figure out something a little better for the throttle control, though. I am just wiring it open for now.

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this and gave me the idea for the motor. :happybanana:

Quick question. Does anyone else have the 11gpm Haldex pump on their splitter? Does the staft have a 'key' in the key way or just a slot????? While assembling the lovejoys I noticed there was no key on the shaft of the pump and I'm wondering if I lost it or it was never there. I tightened the Allen screws on the Lovejoy and it's tight but I'm just curious.

should have a key in the keyway. should be a standard 1/8" key available at your local hardware store.
Edit: corrected key size for pump shaft.

Ya I definitely do not have the little key in this photo. My hunch is that I won't walk into my local ace hardware and find that peice. I'll try though

Thanks Woodtick. I need to drive that way for some hydraulic hose tomorrow so I'll stop in and ask. Appreciate the feedback.

It may not be cut to length. They will have key stock that you cut to length and clean up edges with a file

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When your at the hardware store they'll have those little drawers with all different types of set screws and dowel pins and you name it Clips they'll be in there. If they only have 3/16 Square stock you can you can grind it on your grinder into a half moon. Best thing to do is hold them with a pair of vice grips and repeatedly dip it in water so you're not turning it blue and taking any type of hardening that might be into in it out. That keyway is not under horrible loads for example like a lawn mower key way. The load on that pump is constant load. What I'm saying is is there's not a shock load to be concerned with. I'm pretty excited for you as I think you'll be very happy with your motor... they're wonderful engines

I measured it and its a 1/8" key. The predator is 3/16". I'll look for that. Thanks for try advice. I should have it all back together this weekend........Just in time to wait for this 20" of snow to melt here in northern PA. Boooooo!

You're right. My bad. Good looking out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick question. Does anyone else have the 11gpm Haldex pump on their splitter? Does the staft have a 'key' in the key way or just a slot????? While assembling the lovejoys I noticed there was no key on the shaft of the pump and I'm wondering if I lost it or it was never there. I tightened the Allen screws on the Lovejoy and it's tight but I'm just curious.

Ask for a woodruff key,speicyfy size of course.

As suggested Ace Hardware had the Woodruff Key. I wasn't sure of the length but at .40 I just bought every length they had haha. Good to go!

Good to hear about the engine. Looking forward to it.

OK, on a side note, how large of a pump could a person put on the 22-ton, run by the Predator 173 cc? Is the 11 about all that would run well on tis setup? I just don't know much about that stuff, but it would be nice to speed up the cycle time a little.

The 13gpm needs 6.5 hp. That would probably be pushing the 173cc motor.
Best is to go horizontal 8hp and 16gpm if you want to go bigger.
The reservoir tank isn't big enough to manage the heat of anything bigger

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

You know Mr Fish. . . there are a lot of individuals who argue over the size of a hydraulic reservoir. . . personally I am not a person who disputes standard practices... I have approximately 40 gallons of oil in my backyard hillbilly built splitter. It definitely keeps the oil cooler. . . 40 gallons is not twice the gpm of the pump but much better than the 5-10gallon hydraulic reservoirs used on most lower end mass produced splitters.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info.

Back