Replacement for 80EV for 84yo?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would start there. You can see it in person, feel the weight/heft of it, judge overall condition.

The 570 is slow and heavy for what it is. Its a 575 with a smaller jug. A friend has one and he is happy with it, but he also only cuts for his house. I would also like to note that the 570s that have blown up already have. Something to do with the crank bearings failing at really low hours.

I have a 576 which has an updated bottom end and love it. It makes good power and is pretty decent on fuel. A 365 special/x torq may be a better option. I prefer those to the 570.

Hey Mike, what do you think about a 6400 for this application? @rms61moparman

The 6400 Dolmar has no equal.
I'm not sure how much actual weight will be saved with a 24" bar and chain but the balance and added safety features would definitely make it worthwhile.
If anyone tries to give you the same old yada yada about 64cc saws being underpowered for the application you reference, smack them firmly right in the mouth, they don't have a clue about a 6400!
I've run mine extensively with a 28 and full comp chain and NEVER felt underpowered even in hard Red Oak.
There is a video of me running that very combination at one of Wiggs' GTG's. I don't know who took it but Brad may know.

If you want your grandfather cutting the next few years and you have already noticed him "slowing down", for me, there would be no way around a dolmar 6100! With the built in easy start you get a package that can pull a 22-24 inch bar and is so easy to start like nothing else on the market! One of the best air filters on the market and a real pro saw.

Further I would include the 40cc Dolmar 421 in the package, same easy start, 42cc that behave like 50! A real angry little fella.

I don't think we'll need to trick him. He knows he is slowing down. He wouldn't buy another big saw, but when I say the 80ev isn't a saw he needs to be running any more, due to the weight and lack of chain brake, and here is _______ saw for him to use instead, he would thank me/us... We think...

I don't want to spill the beans (and/or jinx it) until I have it in my hands, but I've got something in the works.

Mike

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Got some pics from my buddy, who picked this up for me. Its an early 2015 jred 2166. Physically, it is in awesome shape, and by buddy says it does start and run, but I don't know what the compression is or anything, yet. He's going to mail it to me on Monday, so I will have a better idea later in the week... The controls aren't exactly like I wanted for grandpa (on/off and choke on thumb side, like the husky x-torq models, and like his 351), but for what I paid for it, we'll see how it goes. I'll probably put my spare orange clutch cover on it, because I cringe at the thought of it bouncing around in the cart behind the 4-wheeler. May try and trade somebody for an x-torq husky 372/365. Who knows...

02bc43df98062186f6d54bfaba4c6a7c.jpg

55791a3dceb70351be7a744726341a5b.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back