Review Oregon PowerNow Cordless Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EDIT / UPDATE: I am working to replace some of the lost photos and links from this thread. ***Zogger - see if you can help me out with some of yours? *** (Thanks).

Oregon will be releasing a cordless pole saw to go along with this chainsaw, which I briefly reviewed in this thread:
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/oregon-40-volt-pole-saw.248941/

They have also announced new batteries with significantly increased charge life (4.0 amp-hours, up from 1.25 and 2.4 amp hours).

https://oregoncordless.com/US/Productlanding

Philbert

EDIT / UPDATE: I am working to replace some of the lost photos and links from this thread. ***Zogger - see if you can help me out with some of yours? *** (Thanks).

Oregon will be releasing a cordless pole saw to go along with this chainsaw, which I briefly reviewed in this thread: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/oregon-40-volt-pole-saw.248941/

They have also announced new batteries with significantly increased charge life (4.0 amp-hours, up from 1.25 and 2.4 amp hours).

https://oregoncordless.com/US/Productlanding

Philbert

Cool on the new stuff.

I don't know on the lost pics, my only copies are on a mostly dead tower here. Last I tried it it wouldn't boot very well or run.

Couple of More Photos I Ran Across

Found these while trying to 're-build' the lost photos above:

P5082999.jpg
Tree Monkey's Dad tries the 40V at a GTG

Sam C.jpg
Andydodgegeeks's Dad tries the 40V at a GTG

Pine branches.jpg
Neighbor lost a bunch of pine branches due to an ice storm. Easy and fast to clean up with a grab-and-go saw (harder to clean the pine pitch off the saw afterwards!).

storm.jpg
Another quick neighborhood storm clean up.

Philbert

Couple of interesting developments.

Oregon has released a 15 amp corded version of their chainsaw with the PowerSharp system and 18 inch bar. ($130 - $140 on-line pricing).

Screen shot 2014-10-24 at 3.04.18 PM.png
http://www.oregonproducts.com/homeowner/products/corded/CS1500.htm

“Our new corded chain saw is an excellent option for professionals looking for additional bar length with the added convenience of built-in PowerSharp, which sharpens a dull chain in as little as three seconds.”

And, has announced a 're-engineered' version of their cordless (battery) saw, with a brushless motor and longer (16") bar, due Spring, 2015.

"OREGON’s popular cordless chain saw has been re-engineered with 40 percent more power. Equipped with on-tool PowerSharp technology, a 16-inch bar (versus 14-inch on its predecessor), tool-less tensioning and a brushless motor, the CS300 offers a more powerful cutting experience."

Philbert

EDIT: Started a thread on this saw: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/new-oregon-corded-electric-chainsaw.268379/

I have not seen either one. You know that speed and torque often trade-0ff each other. The brushless motors are supposed to be more efficient, which is important with battery powered tools.

I was really surprised by the corded saw - a real break from the 40 volt line. I like my electric (Makita)/PowerSharp combination, so this will be interesting.

They also announced a cordless leaf blower, due out in Spring, 2015. Photos look pretty clean and compact.

image.jpg

Philbert

Specs on 'New' vs 'Current' Oregon Battery Saws

CS300 (brushless motor) vs CS250 claims:
- 40% more power;
- 16" vs 14" bar;
- faster chain speed: 2796 FPM vs 2350 FPM;
- same weight;
- tool-less chain tensioner;
- no information on any differences in battery life between the 2 saws.

Philbert

Screen shot 2015-01-14 at 10.02.47 PM.png

Nice!!!!

@Philbert, I really liked that little rascal when I tried it at Andy's.

I was amazed at how well it cut and I really liked that powersharp system.

I think it would be an awesome saw for smaller jobs like you posted.

Saw some MSRP pricing for the new Oregon, cordless, brushless chainsaw today. Available 'Summer, 2015'. Looks like some of their prices are coming down, even as features (torque, chain speed) are going up. Might be competitive pressures, production efficiencies, ?
Screen shot 2015-03-04 at 1.23.39 PM.png

Philbert

Saw some MSRP pricing for the new Oregon, cordless, brushless chainsaw today. Available 'Summer, 2015'. Looks like some of their prices are coming down, even as features (torque, chain speed) are going up. Might be competitive pressures, production efficiencies, ?
View attachment 408816

Philbert

Cool, I might get the basic upgraded saw model. And yep, I bet capitalism works, lot of competition out there now for battery powered outdoor tools. I would think eventually, maybe not far off now, a hundred bucks a tool might be common.

I called them awhile back and asked about upgrading just the electric motor, no dice, won't fit the old chassis.

I also volunteered to be a test cutter again, but no further response, so I guess that means no. :(

Battery Pouches

For most of these battery powered OPE, a second battery is a real plus. But they can be hard to carry in the field, unless you have a backpack, or some type of tool box that you take with you. As noted in an earlier post, I found that certain quart sized motor oil containers are just the right size and shape to fit these Oregon 40V batteries, and to protect their terminals from accidentally making contact with something metal, shorting out or causing a fire. Later, I found an almost-right-sized camera case at a garage sale, that had both belt loops and a shoulder strap, making it easy to carry an extra battery.

photo 1.jpg

After lots of searching through carpenter tool pouches and military surplus stores, I finally found some pouches today at a surplus store that fit the Oregon 40V batteries!

photo 2.jpg

Of course, since they are camo, it will make the batteries easier to lose if I set them down! But with camo pouches and a quiet saw, I can be a chainsaw commando!

photo 5.jpg

This size pouch can also carry 4, 8-inch wedges easily, or keep the PowerSharp sharpening cassette close at hand. Other pouches may work better with the different size and shape batteries used by other brands of cordless tools.

PS and Wedge Pouch.jpg

Belt loops are important on both of these pouches for carrying the batteries, and I still plan to use the cut off oil containers as liners. Might cut off some of the extra pockets, or try to modify them to hold a scrench, or something useful. .

photo 3.jpg

Philbert

Back