Reviving a coil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwiz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
There is a 951 Olympyk saw at a Pawn shop I'd like to buy. Only wants $40 for it, but I can't seem to get any spark from it. It has been sitting out under and awning for possibly a couple years.
Didn't I read here about spinning a coil and bringing it back to life? What are the odds of this working? Anything else that might prevent spark besides a bad coil, like rust on the flywheel??? I have not had the saw apart, just pulled the coil wire from the plug, held a screw driver in there and could not see spark.(I was doing this alone so saw was not steady) I also just held onto it thinking if there was spark it should shock me.
The forty dollar saw becomes an $80 saw if I have to replace the coil. Any other possibilities?
Thanks,
James

Usually if a coil is bad, there's no reviving it, at least I have never heard of it or seen anyone do it. if the winding is open it's shot. It could be the kill switch is broken "grounded" or the kill wire is grounded to something metal on the saw. If either the switch is grounded or the kill wire is grounded you wont get any spark. The kill wire is the small wire that goes from the switch to the ignition coil terminal. If you remove this small wire from the terminal on the ignition coil, and you DO get spark the coil IS GOOD and it is a switch or wire problem. As far as rust on the flywheel, that wont make it not have spark, the magnetism will pass through the rust.

If I am incorrect I'm sure someone with more knowledge will correct me, but I believe I'm telling you correct information.

Hope this helps.

Back