rigging and falling three large tulip trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpwDNQwKzFo
Here's the latest video project. Pat Epps climbing and rigging out three 100'+ tulip trees. Had a bunch of help editing from a friend's son, and actually bought a new imac for this and future projects.. Put some music over the action shots. The dialogue was all ad libbed and flowed pretty well. Camera was in a bucket truck for most of the day, so there are some nice camera angles.

I was trying to show what a good climber can accomplish with proper understanding of good cutting techniques, to steer large pieces to swing smoothly into the rigging, proper tying off at a point slightly under the center of gravity to aid in directing the piece to swing smoothly into the rigging and have it rotate slowly after seperatioin, rather than slamming down into the rigging, while keeping the piece tip heavy to minimizing the risk of it coming back at the climber. Combining that with a groundman that can be trusted to let the pieces run, and we were able to rope out some large pieces safely while minimizing shock loads.

This is part one of two, both 10 minutes long. Part two is up on youtube already.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-elOeOd4Ak
Also have another edit nearly complete of just the action without dialogue.

Reg, Ace, G.B., the master, and others have been cranking out some great videos. I hope you all enjoy this one as well... There is over 40 hours of post production in the three ten minute pieces...

Where did everybody go?

Thanks Todd, metal and gumnuts..
I AM working on a few more for ya...

And where did all the know nothing, loud mouth, name calling, prune spiking, port-a-wrap-less, 3 wrap takin (on every little branch), one handed chainsaw waiving, teeny tiny limb ropin', smart az, disrepectful gen xers go?

C'mon boys... I went to a lot of trouble to make this video to show you all how the big boys do it... The least you could do is thank me.

Well if you haven't got the common courtesy to thank me for that... I'll thank you instead... I never would have made this or any other video anytime soon if you hadn't pissed me off so badly.. So thanks

It wasnt really all that special murphy.

None of the wood even had to get roped down - any treeman worth his salt can rope limbs 70' above any real target. I just dont see it as all that technical when you can just flomp the trunks down, thats all.

Pat looks to be a very good climber though.

Thanks Todd, metal and gumnuts..
I AM working on a few more for ya...

And where did all the know nothing, loud mouth, name calling, prune spiking, port-a-wrap-less, 3 wrap takin (on every little branch), one handed chainsaw waiving, teeny tiny limb ropin', smart az, disrepectful gen xers go?

C'mon boys... I went to a lot of trouble to make this video to show you all how the big boys do it... The least you could do is thank me.

Well if you haven't got the common courtesy to thank me for that... I'll thank you instead... I never would have made this or any other video anytime soon if you hadn't pissed me off so badly.. So thanks

I don't know murhperls, where did they go? I recall some PM you sent The Dan in regards and I , personally, am still wondering about all that myself.

Seriously though...

Pat this, Pat that.

Is that as high as you climb yourself murph??

What are you gonna do if Pat ever quits??

The whole point back when we asked to see something was that we wanted to see the great murphy whip it up!

Last edited:
Great video really enjoyed it. Iam waiting for the other ones now.

Couple of questions. Did you natural crotch most of it? And what kind of rope did you rig with.

Dan Ill give you props for the vidoes. You got a talent for doing them and it is appreciated by many here. I have seen some footage of you climbing also and dont doubt your abilities at all. Dont let the negative comments get to you keep up the good work.

Good work, Dan. Nice video production, too.

Ease up, guys. I'm sure there was a reason for lowering that wood. Besides, it came down easily, and prolly got it clear of some plants, and on the side of the tree where it needed to go. True, the trees weren't overly technical, but so what. A good vid like that can benefit a lot of up and comers.

What no jomoco here? We also do some mid tying to aid in swinging limbs/wood into the rope. It's fine, unless the actual LZ is so small that the wood needs to come down in a vertical orientation, and not swinging around. Of course, the technique requires perfect rope work, and thus, a competent groundie.

It wasnt really all that special murphy.

gotta agree. but i done made up my mind about your skills when i saw those pics and thread from that redwood you did. i judge a man by his posture in the cut and the resulting scarf (you dont go deep enough and the face is too open). like i said. not very impressed.

i didnt respond to that other video you put up, because once again i wasnt all that impressed with that one either. whats this the patrick epps show?

sweet mullet though. swings nicely, all pony tailed up, beneath that helmet.

stay safe. oh and i am still waiting on a vid from you where you dont have someone else climb the tree or rely on a bobcat to pull over a butt.

Last edited:
You remind me of the old gf's at Asplundh training seminars. The climber was very good but one thought came in my mind on the long logs he tied them too far out imo. I tie them near the butt so if the rope catches or groundsmen have a brain fart I don't get clobbered. It come with experience and having to make it safe. As you watch the vid you may see what I mean, if not, it will come to ya sooner or later:monkey:

You remind me of the old gf's at Asplundh training seminars. The climber was very good but one thought came in my mind on the long logs he tied them too far out imo. I tie them near the butt so if the rope catches or groundsmen have a brain fart I don't get clobbered. It come with experience and having to make it safe. As you watch the vid you may see what I mean, if not, it will come to ya sooner or later:monkey:

Nail on the head with that one rope.

My new position

I don't argue with idiots..

at least this thread has flushed them out and they have identified themselves for all to see...

AS was at one time the best site out there for comercial arborists.. You all have turned it into the pit it is now... Anyone with any sense has long since fled from you know nothing, loud mouths...

at least this thread has flushed them out and they have identified themselves for all to see...

AS was at one time the best site out there for comercial arborists.. You all have turned it into the pit it is now... Anyone with any sense has long since fled from you know nothing, loud mouths...
Ok bad day I guess :cheers:I don't argue with blowhards and fullofthemselves, wannabees,or my wife not.lol

Last edited:

You can, just make sure they are not doing the same. Great uncle would always say that.

It takes a lot to put yourself out there for everyone to see. Good video.

Back