Rim Sprockets and Filing Guides

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, that adds up - and I believe all 024, 026, 240 and 260 came with a mini spline drum.

As I see it, the only point with the mini spline is that a 6-pin picco rim is possible (I don't know if they currently offer them)- besides just being different, to sell more premium priced Stihl branded parts .

Btw, also the Stihl branded 7- and 8-pin picco rims are normally availiable only for the mini spline drums, which likely is a result of a deal between Stihl (that sell them) and Oregon (that make them for Stihl). Pin type rims have been made by others in the past though, at least Danzco, for other spline sizes.

Every 026 that I have seen and came my way had a mini spline on it if it was original, a few have had the drums replaced with the Oregon replacement and run the larger spline we usually call ,small spline. Seems the 026 is stuck with either the 7 or 8 pin drives in .325 mini. I took measurements between the mini and the small rim drive rims. Across the largest parts, at the outer edges of the splines on new drive rims,
OEM Stihl mini= 19.73 mm or .777 inch, the small spline OEM Stihl rim= 21.30 mm or .838 inch and the Oregon small spline was a tad larger at = 21.35 mm or .840 inch. It is easily seen that a small spline rim on a mini spline clutch would be very sloppy.

I have an 026 and it runs normal 3/8" chain. I never paid much attention to the setup as it like that when I found it in the nether regions of the shop.

I believe they used to offer regular 3/8"x7 rims as well for the mini spline, and of course Picco. Hopefully they still do.

I havn`t asked for 3/8" recently but I do have a good stock of them for the mini spline. I run 3/8" on 20" bars on a few of my modified 026`s, they do fine with 3/8" chisel.

On the Stihl branded rim sprocket price I picked up a new one for $7 and change out the door here in South Carolina. I will say one thing to have a large (seems large to me anyway) stihl/ husky dealer right here in town is a major convenience. I am relatively new to all these fancy orange saws and other equipment but I can remember going in a dealership with my dad when I was younger and they just seemed like jerks. The one near me was happy to help my find the part i was looking for and to then take a look at the saw just to be sure it was correct. Specifically I was looking for the D shaped plastic/rubber retainer for the bar tensioner on the 55.

True story. Took a .325 / 7 rim sprocket in today to a local chainsaw OPE dealer. Clerk behind the counter said, "What's that? I haven't seen one of those before. We must not sell many of those". She has worked there several years, so I was surprised. When I told her that they are supposed to be changed every 2 - 3 chains she was surprised. So I showed her the wear marks, etc., on the old one. Then went to my STIHL dealer, who had them in stock.

Philbert
image.jpg

On the Stihl branded rim sprocket price I picked up a new one for $7 and change out the door here in South Carolina. ....

That's about what they cost at a Husky dealer here (Oregon branded). If you go to a Stihl dealer, the price is 3-4 times as high. The rims are the same when the same pitch and pin count is the same - but the availiable options are different.
Small spline rims are not sold by Stihl, and mini spline and picco ones are not sold as Oregon, even though all obviously are made the same place (by Oregon).

Op, as far as seeing sparks it can be common with new bar and chain to see a few. Make sure your oiler is working properly, and I was always told to run a new bar for a little bit out of the wood. (Aka) piss revving, just to kinda break them in before cutting.
I started running a little bar oil on the bar before installing a new chain.

...even though all obviously are made the same place (by Oregon).
Curious?? How is that obvious??
I mean... Stihl makes their own guide bars and chains... but farms-out the rim sprockets?? :confused: And Oregon embosses the "Stihl" name and part number on sprockets destined for Stihl, but not on the others??
That seems a bit odd... and think of the investment in production equipment for Oregon??

Look closely at the rims, and you will see that the metal texture is exactly the same, when the Oregon and Stihl rims are for the same spline size, pitch and pin count.

Look closely at the rims, and you will see that the metal texture is exactly the same...
Metal texture?? And from that you conclude Oregon ("obviously") makes the sprockets for Stihl??
Listen, I ain't tryin' to start an argument, but that reasoning seems a little thin to me... and I have no clue who makes what.
But, wouldn't it be just as reasonable to conclude Stihl makes the sprockets for Oregon??
Think 'bout it... Stihl has been building (complete) chainsaws since 1926... Oregon Saw Chain Company (Joe Cox) started making chains in 1947, and the "company" didn't expand into other chainsaw "stuff" until Omark Industries purchased it in the 1970s.

Metal texture?? And from that you conclude Oregon ("obviously") makes the sprockets for Stihl??
Listen, I ain't tryin' to start an argument, but that reasoning seems a little thin to me... and I have no clue who makes what.
But, wouldn't it be just as reasonable to conclude Stihl makes the sprockets for Oregon??
Think 'bout it... Stihl has been building (complete) chainsaws since 1926... Oregon Saw Chain Company (Joe Cox) started making chains in 1947, and the "company" didn't expand into other chainsaw "stuff" until Omark Industries purchased it in the 1970s.

It isn't just that, and even Stihl dealers doesn't deny it - and there never has been a hint of evidense that it isn't true.

You can believe what you want to, but it doesn't change anything....

You can believe what you want to...
Some people need or want to believe... others question everything.
I don't believe anything without significant evidence to support...
And I wouldn't state something as being fact without irrefutable evidence to support...
This ain't about what I believe (I already stated I have no clue who makes what)... it's about what you believe.
So... Yeah... You can believe what you want to, but it doesn't change anything....
Personally, I need something more than opinion before I'll believe (or state as fact) anything... true, false, or otherwise.

That's the whole reason I asked about it in the first place... I figured you had information I didn't... but, going on what you've presented (so far) it turns out to be a thinly supported opinion, not a fact. So I ain't learned a darn thing; I don't know anything different than I did before I asked the question... I simply don't know... or believe (shrug)

Well, when the metal texture from the casting is exactly the same, it is very hard to imagine they are made at a different factory, and you most be one of very few that believes differently. When Stihl started making chainsaws have nothing to do with it, and Oregon bars also have been rebranded for Stihl.

Stihl mashines aren't as purely made by Stihl as you seem to believe, but there are nothing wrong with that.

Stihl mashines aren't as purely made by Stihl as you seem to believe...
You ain't catchin' on :rolleyes: I ain't stated I believe anything... I merely questioned what you believe.
Your answers are not enough for me to believe anything... you may be right, you may be wrong, I don't know
Heck, could be neither Stihl nor Oregon manufactures the rim sprockets... could be some Chinese company for all I friggin' know.
Yeah, that's probably it, China:lol: the metal texture on my rim sprocket looks exactly the same as the chain sprocket on my kid's little Chinese ATV.
All you've got is a little bit of (observational) circumstantial evidence suggesting the possibility that both Stihl and Oregon rim sprockets may be manufactured in the same facility... and that's all you've got. Making any more than that out'a it is simply what you choose believe... I ain't the one believin' anything.

Well, when the metal texture from the casting is exactly the same, it is very hard to imagine they are made at a different factory, and you most be one of very few that believes differently.

Complete, and I do mean complete, BS

The surface texture of an investment casting, die casting and even injection molding is based upon the mold finish specified by the engineering specs and is a function of the tools and / or materials used to mold the part, and has absolutely, positively, nothing to do with identifying what factory manufactured the part. Texture in this case is a function of the sand used in the molding process and guess what, any investment casting house can specify the same sand specs for the process.

ST your logic has absolutely no basis. The only thing that might even remotely show they are from the same mfg. lot would be a detailed metallurgical analysis showing composition of the alloy. Even that is inconclusive as different foundries probably buy their raw material ingots from the same limited number of supplier(s). I urge you to provide, as WS did factual proof, otherwise as previously stated your position has no standing other than conjecture and not fact

Furthermore if what ST says is true, and a piece of interior trim in an automobile, a key on a computer keyboard, a household thermostat and phone case all have the same MoldTec finish does that mean we can positively conclude they were manufactured by the same company? Give me a break.

Take Care

Latest posts

Back