Root near driveway

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuttinginGA

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So my wife wants to keep the tree in the front yard. However, one of the roots is getting close to the driveway. Am I able to cut just this one root and keep the tree alive? If so, what's the best method of doing that?

20170718_174628.jpg 20170718_174631.jpg

That root is probably acting as a counter-balance and keeping the tree from falling towards the house...
Maybe not. ;)

Couldn't say about cutting the root... my guess would be that it would damage the tree to some extent.

Cut it. It won't hurt the tree. Just stay 3 to 4 feet from the tree. Try and make the cut (on the tree side) clean. Not jagged like with an axe. Some guys use a reciprocating saw for this. The rest could be chopped out with an axe. A follow up fertilization program to offset the root loss would be recommended.

To prevent further problems, you can install Root Guard, a plastic liner that is about 18" deep and will block the roots. Put it just before the driveway. That far away from the tree, the roots are unlikely to go under the guard and surface again.

How would I know what the drip line is?
oh its the edge of the trees leaf canopy you know when it rains you stand under canopy & not outside the drip line

Sorry, complete noob. Can you explain what you mean by this?

a hand full of broad spectrum fertilizer appropriate NPK for the trees species and age,, if unsure just ask your local plant nursery

Sorry, complete noob. Can you explain what you mean by this?
By cutting the root you are reducing the trees ability to absorb water and minerals because you removed part of the root system. Fertilizing the tree helps make more nutrients available to the remaining root system so the tree doesn't lack the essential nutrients needed to grow. A local,full service tree company can fertilize your tree for you. Spring and fall are excellent times to do this.

Latest posts

Back