Round Filing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KG441c

Keith
Reaction score
Was wondering what brand files u guys like that cut and sharpen the best and maybe hear some ideas on filing techniques or anything that helps with round filing ? Brand, angles, techniques, guide or no guide, etc. ??? Thanks

The company buys Nicholson files and they seem to sharpen well and stay sharp longer than Stihl files. I've used Vallorbe too and they're also good files. No guide. I just use the recommended angles 30° on Stihl and 25° on Oregon. I suppose if you (not you personally) don't know how to sharpen they're all pretty much ueless[emoji1]

I've had good luck with Pferd files. They are fairly aggressive so they file quick.
I use all round chisel, typically Oregon LGX.

Filing technique, I think round is a lot more forgiving than square. Just a guess though, I don't have any square chisel chain.

I started using the husky roller file guide with the depth gauge combined. That gave me the proper muscle memory when I was learning to sharpen, and now I can do a fine job without. I still use the depth gauge though, I like that style gauge. Sets the height to each corresponding tooth.

Ive used Save Edge which outcuts Stihl handsdown. Been lookin at Vialla and Vallorbe and wondering how they r? Oberg also makes round files which I hear in a square file that Oberg is the best. Anybody tried the round Obergs? Thanks

I use save edge since they were cheapest. If pferd were cheaper I'd use them. They make a coarse and fine cut in 7/32".
Mike do u use just a file and handle? How deep do u take the gullets? What angle and drop and raker height for hardwood? Pics of a good round file tooth?

Ive used Save Edge which outcuts Stihl handsdown. Been lookin at Vialla and Vallorbe and wondering how they r? Oberg also makes round files which I hear in a square file that Oberg is the best. Anybody tried the round Obergs? Thanks
Ditto. Save Edge easily outlasts Pferd

I've liked the swiss oregon ones for a while but I love the save edge ones. Also tips your angle is the most important thing get your angle right with out rounding the edge .once u got that masterd you can experiment with pressure . everyone is diffent and dose it a diffent way you will find your sweet spot. O another tip keep your file as level as possible .

Oberg is the best but very dificult to find specialy the square, i have use oberg are very good, but in the forest that the contitions are very diferent that are in a log horse or in a vise , you can not understand much diferent, just because after you filling you meet the dirty wood ., and also you dont have the luxury to file like you file in a vise.

I've liked the swiss oregon ones for a while but I love the save edge ones. Also tips your angle is the most important thing get your angle right with out rounding the edge .once u got that masterd you can experiment with pressure . everyone is diffent and dose it a diffent way you will find your sweet spot. O another tip keep your file as level as possible .
No drop angle?

I've been using files made in India lately. JK I believe. They seem ok.
Most would be filers make the mistake of filing too much and moving too much metal and making an exaggerated hook or don't clean the gullet enough.
Proper filing is hard to put into words. It's more about refusing to use a chain that isn't sharp or filed correctly.
John

I'm using Nicholson files and the Husqvarna roller file guide. Like others have said, it trains you for the proper height and angles. The depth gauge guide is easy to get them all the same.

For round files, I am only spending my money on Save Edge, for me they last the longest.
For square I get Save Edge double bevel and Vallorbe single bevel, but Save Edge lasts longer there as well.

I can buy a 3-pack of Stihl files at the local ACE hardware for $4-$5, so that's what I use.

Last time I bought round files they were $13/dozen. I haven't checked prices lately.

I've had really good luck soaking my files overnight in white vinegar every three or four sharpenings. Be sure to wash them off and oil them after taking them out of the vinegar. It works better if you don't let the file get totally trashed before you try it, but I converted a round filed chain to square and have sharpened the chain half a dozen times since then with the same save edge double bevel. I'm still working on the first vinegar treated round file as well. It has done a lot more chain (I usually use semi-chisel) but I like how it has held up.

Back