Round Filing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The angles you choose are up to you. If you don't have any preferences, start with the manufacturer's recommendations for 'general cutting'.
http://www.oregonproducts.com/pdfs/FilingAngles.pdf

People will debate and disagree about optimal angles, 'hook', etc. The important part is that you can consistently get the tooth shape/profile/angles that you decide on, whatever they are. For many people, this means using some type of guide.

No drop angle?
10° down angle is recommended for some chains, depending on the design of the cutter. Some people feel that it makes a significant difference. Some people feel that it does not. Note that if you use some filing guides (e.g. Husqvarna roller guides) the down angle is built in. If you use others (classic STIHL and Oregon flat file guides), you should not apply a down angle, because it defeats the intended contact of the guide with the top plate of the cutter. If you use a Granberg style, clamp on guide, you can dial in the down angle.

How deep do u take the gullets?

A lot of guys are obsessed with the gullets - they just carry away the chips. The top plate cutting edge, and the upper part of the side plate cutting edge, do the cutting and make the chips. Focus on those, and clean out the gullets when needed.

Check the depth gauges after each sharpening - typically, they only need attention occasionally.

Philbert

Screen shot 2015-03-02 at 12.30.50 PM.png
Screen shot 2015-03-02 at 12.31.53 PM.png

Screen shot 2015-03-02 at 12.31.07 PM.png

Bigger the gullet the less it will clog with chips.
Technically correct. More of an issue with longer bars cutting bigger wood, where there are more chips to clear.

But, I have seen a number of new filers obsessed with big gullets and 'hooks', driving their files down to the tie straps, and completely missing the cutting edges.

It's like the chain needs to say, "Hey! Buddy! The cutting edges are up here!"

Philbert

Anyone else file round this way?
I file outside - in ..........
I believe that I get a cleaner edge, as well as the fact that I am able to see when the tooth is sharp by the shavings coming off from the file in front of the cut profile, not just after the tooth. This saves needless filing ............ the shavings actually tell you when the tooth is sharp

I know it's not the correct way, I was just asking if anyone else filed "backwards"
A couple of potential issues filing 'outside-in':
- the chrome is harder than the steel in the tooth, so it is harder on the files;
- it is very easy to catch the razor edge you are trying to achieve with the file, and take it right off, if the angle of the file changes just a hair.

Same things apply with square filed chain, but I think that the file tends to 'ride in the groove' a bit more, once established, and square filers like to see that corner when filing.
Anyone that can confirm these suspicions?

Philbert

The square filing you can kill the corner easily with the file twisting at the end of the stroke. I've tried outside in round but it seemed weird.

Latest posts

Back