Round Filing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twist, chatter, water in your eye .............. its easy to kill the corner

I know outside in on round is said to be backwards, but I find it easier
Why is it backwards? I thought it made sense outside/in. I've always done it that way.

Why is it backwards? I thought it made sense outside/in. I've always done it that way.
Its what I was told, and what most people believe. Not just here, but all of the manufacturers chain filing (round) show inside - out as well.
Maybe its because I like square filing and outside in is more familiar to me ?
I get round pretty sharp, so I just stick with it

Grinding leaves a small burr going inside out, but not outside in.

Philbert
That same "burr" can be seen when I file inside out ......... not as obvious, but I do see it.
Thats why I started outside in, and it just stayed

Duane (PA) said it perfectly, everyone needs to be comfortable themselves when they file. So long as the tooth is sharp the chain will cut (if rakers are proper)

That small "bur" you get filing inside out on the outer edge of the tooth is gone the first time the chain hits wood.
True, but I have seen it take some of the chrome plating off along with it after the first cut.
I have also seen the file take off some chrome plating inside out.

I am not trying to convince anyone to change, just stating my own observations.
Will that missing chrome plating make any difference ? Probably not.

I always thought it was odd how that picture showed them going in- out? I was hoping someone had a real reason why besides "this works for me"
So if technically chain should be filed in out then how should it be ground?

The recommendations for in to out or out to in are made based on the file angle and the chrome plating. Round is recommended in to out, square the other way. It is just a recommendation, the other direction will work if it suits you. Going out to in is tougher on your file, especially at the recommended angles for round.

Aren't knives sharpened either way?
Difficult to compare edges: knives, razor blades, etc. - used for different purposes. 'Razor sharp' sounds good, but would not hold up long on a saw tooth. Wood working chisels might be the closest, in terms of cutting edge shape, but they don't have the chrome backing.

If you have something that works for you . . .

Philbert

Interesting... Thanks mike. I'll have to try it and see what I think.
What about with a bench grinder. What direction should the wheel be spinning? Mine reverses and I always grind out to in. Is this wrong?

The burr is why the higher end grinders have reverseable motors ,I tried round last weekend ,i suck at round ,i will keep my square thank you ,easier to find the corner ,maybe i will try it like doing square see if any easier

The reversible grinders allow you to grind into the tooth for both Right and Left cutters, eliminating the creation of any burr.

Since the grinding wheel is fixtured, it is unlikely that you will take off the fine, final cutting edge (unless your grinder has a lot of slop, or you are really ham fisted). Grinding wheels are also consumable/wear items, and don't 'care' about thin layers of chrome.

Apparently, the MAXX grinder has enough movement in its vice and head tilt that you can grind both Right and Left cutters from the inside out, by reversing the chain, instead of the wheel rotation. I really wish that Oregon had incorporated that into their new grinders, due out this Spring.

That said, billions and billions (regards to Carl Sagan) of saw chain cutters have been ground/sharpened with the fine burr on one side, and it does not make a practical difference for most users (again, assuming that they are not ham fisted and burning the cutters).

Philbert

Difficult to compare edges: knives, razor blades, etc. - used for different purposes. 'Razor sharp' sounds good, but would not hold up long on a saw tooth. Wood working chisels might be the closest, in terms of cutting edge shape, but they don't have the chrome backing.

If you have something that works for you . . .

Philbert
My chain is wwwwaaayyy sharper than a wood cheisel.

If your chain isn't "razor sharp" then you ain't doin it right

How can you get sharper than a couple different grits of oil stone followed by leather strop? You don't keep the two sided oilstone for your chisels wrapped in a piece of leather?
A rasor edge is really acute isn't it where the chainsaw cutter isn't too far from square.

I'm waiting for the shaving video . . .

Must have pretty dull chisels. Properly sharpened, they pare and shave grain. Finish them at 600 grit. Chainsaw cutters chop and chip.

To each his own.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back