Round Filing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keith, when doing round I prefer the hand held 12V sharpener with the diamond stones.

Goes 2 X as fast, and gets it just as sharp as I can by hand.

Any one else use a hand held sharpener?

Hey Mike where are you getting the diamond stones? I've never tried the electric sharpener and we only sell the regular stone's. I've only used a grandberg and regular files.

This guy (from Minnesota) had a gimmick to sell his book. He would grow out his beard, and shave it off with a double bit axe, or have one of his daughters shave him with it, to show how sharp he could get it.

image.jpg

Not a very durable edge for chopping wood, but good for a show.

Philbert

My chain is wwwwaaayyy sharper than a wood cheisel.

If your chain isn't "razor sharp" then you ain't doin it right
My chain is wwwwaaayyy sharper than a wood cheisel.

If your chain isn't "razor sharp" then you ain't doin it right
If your wood chisel or plane iron isn't sharp enough to shave with you didn't have Mr. Ebert for a shop teacher.

John

That looks good, but doesn't look like a file got it that way ......... what did you use ?

Keith, try a 12 V hand held, with 7/32 EZElap diamond stone and let me know what U think. Does not cost much, and I'll bet you will almost never use your file again (unless U are really out in the woods). Sharpening will go twice as fast.

I started using them when I was ripping the Ash logs to make the cabin, needed to do a lot of filing, and it really sped things up.

I hand file, I used to suck really bad, but with a lot of reading on the science of it, I've improved dramatically. I file from the inside out, there's less chance of what Deets posted (slashed finger) when your applied force goes away from the sharp edge of the chain than when you're going into it

I'm a lefty, so I do some things backward.. I file the right side while straddling the powerhead, so I'm using my dominant hand to control the file, then I turn the saw 90* clockwise (CCW for right handers) and file the left side, giving my dominant hand control of the file once again. Also, when you have a worn bar that allows the chain to flop a little, filing from the inside give you a more consistent, non chattering cut, and it's easier to line up the file with the top of the tooth.

For the rakers I use a triangular 3/8th file, and with my right hand protect the cutting edge of the tooth, and start my cut with the file flat, rotating it so I take more off the front of the raker as I move, again I do this from the inside out.

I've found MOST saws that don't cut straight are due to the rakers being filed wrong on one side of the chain, not from the cutting edge.. If the saw cuts TO THE RIGHT, it means the RIGHT rakers are TOO LOW.. depending on the severity, a couple strokes on each will fix it up nicely.

All my chain is full chisel 3/8th, though I would like some semi-chisel for dirtier wood. I know I've filed 1000's of chains less than the gurus on here, but this is just what works for me.. What do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer :)

My dad was a wood carver for years, professional at it at some points in his life.. Yes, his chisels are RAZOR sharp!

I think one of the best things a beginning hand filer can do is clamp the bar in a vice. Not having to fight holding the power head still makes the job much easier and you can concentrate better on your filing.

Thats what i do , i have a granberg but i rarely use it , just a good eye try my best to be consistent.

Back