Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

RT Crane as yarder

Discussion in 'Forestry and Logging Forum' started by Jtarborist, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Jtarborist

Jtarborist New Member

Im considering converting a Rough Terrain Crane into a yarder. We do a lot of roadside clearance back 1000'. I considered a yoder but most are steel tracked and not good for asphalt. The crane would also be great for crane removals around houses. Has anyone done this?

2. northmanlogging

northmanlogging The gyppo's gyppo

Take a long hard look at how much line a rough terrain crane can hold, most only hold a few hundred feet, once you raise yer boom you've lost 100' already, leaving you only 200-300' to work with tops.

Then figure on needing 2 drums.

Then figure on needing some sort of guyline system, the load of yarding is completely different then standard crane work, the angle of the line is such that most of the force is sideways instead of straight down so the counterweight and outriggers of a standard crane are pretty much useless.

Now haveing said all that, its not impossible. I've heard of folks doing it, but it never seemed to work that well.

Tenderfoot likes this.