RTC Swinging--is it wrong?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck R

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Do you consider swinging in a tree, or tree to tree, a particulalry hazardous activity? Should this be reserved for professional tree work, escapes, and the like? Obviously one needs the judgement to know exactly where you're going to end up, whether you hit or miss your target limb, etc. Seems like swinging on mechanical gear (SRT) could be quite dangerous because of the risk of the gear hitting something. A friction hitch, more forgiving. So, is this a DdRT only activity? I wouldn't think that additional loading from the swing would be an issue for any system. Just curious as I haven't seen much discussion on this. I did notice a little swinging in one of the Arbormaster training videos. A little hotdogging perhaps (my interpretation).

The same precautions would be used for DdRT or SRT don't you think?

I find that I do more swinging when I'm rec climbing. The point of rec climbing is total fun :)

Chuck,

I'll be in the Cities this weekend, drop me a note if you're going to be in town. No climbing gear on this trip though.

balls'o'steel

swinging should not pose any shock load that your terminal gear cant handle, i would be more worried about whether your body can take a mistake.
sorry to sound arrogant but unlee you understand tree bio mechanics from experience be very careful, especially with what species you climbing.

all in all a friction hitch has most versitility and room for error, maybe a prusik or blakes, if you want all or nothing then a distell. safe climbing

Latest posts

Back