Runnin' Loads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes,very relaxing and enjoyable, to me anyhow.

I imagine that to be the case. I'm not a "horse person", just never caught the bug. I know several people who are, and even a few who farm with them. It really has some great advantages for small-scale farming (or logging, hauling sap, etc), but it seems like a feller ought to really love and understand horses before attempting to work with them like that. I respect the level of cooperation you and your team manage. I'd love to work with someone doing horse logging for a few days.

View attachment 545646 Little so,but we get it done.
Its been close to 50years since I did anything like that, and not much of it then. We used a old ford dexter with a homemade logging winch in the 70's and stepped up to a D2 cat with a winch. Late 70's to mid 90's we used bigstick and kennemer cable loaders. Dads health failing and sold everything by the late 90's. What I found sort of interesting is my BIL told me he bought a old Kennemer loader a while back he was going to fix up and use to gather dead wood on the farm. When I went to look at it, its the same loader Dad bought new years ago. Some times, things you have long forgot about just keep turning up.

I used to get a little uneasy when people would stop and watch me working, thinking that they might be judging me a little, but then I realized most of them haven't seen it before. I have met some really great people and heard some really good stories from passers-by's. 20151212_170832.jpg

Well Merry Christmas every one!!

I had a few days off, saw some friends, supper with family, it was great.

I did bang off a few loads in the mean time.

1223161609b.jpg

Some 4's and block to be split

IMG_7268[1].JPG

Morning wood... of 4's

IMG_7274[1].JPG

Evening of 4's and mixed bag.

IMG_1132.JPG

Did a lil lawn decorating for guest's after wheel packing 6in of fresh snow. Hung up the tractor and shot shell Christmas light's, it was a great Christmas!! Hope it was great for you too...

Keep on ..... Runnin' Load's .....

I used to get a little uneasy when people would stop and watch me working, thinking that they might be judging me a little, but then I realized most of them haven't seen it before. I have met some really great people and heard some really good stories from passers-by's. View attachment 546245

That is so awesome to see. We breed, break, train, give riding lessons, board .... you name it with horses, wife's side of the business, but we don't have a team to pull, yet.... she's talked bout it. We have flat dragged some logs but I found it didn't save me any work as they were small compared to that "twig" you got there.....

As usual.... Keep on .... Runnin' Loads .....

That is so awesome to see. We breed, break, train, give riding lessons, board .... you name it with horses, wife's side of the business, but we don't have a team to pull, yet.... she's talked bout it. We have flat dragged some logs but I found it didn't save me any work as they were small compared to that "twig" you got there.....

As usual.... Keep on .... Runnin' Loads .....
Lefturnfreek, careful what you wish for, habit forming and highly addictive, like the first time you kissed a girl, all you can think about..

@Just a Guy that cuts wood What do you use the chain for on your hand truck?
I have a choke chain that I wrap around the log if I can lift it than a second hand truck under the other end.
Makes a wagon effect .
Good for straight pulls . The one puts wheels under the back #2 use it like a regular hand truck

So I've done a few sketchy load with the truck as the ground froze a bit so I decided to do bit more today. Usual mixed load of day cut stuff for the stove, 4fts in the front to the pile and stumps and heavy block to spit.

View attachment 539851

View attachment 539852

Crummy pics as I had other stuff to do when I got back but this one shows my awesome new red door, ain't she perdy .... ha ha

I figured wrong on the frozen solid part, dropped r on the way out in 2wd .... dang it....grabbed 4 and pulled out, but this is the end on November freeze freeze freeze already..... long way back I guess as I don't wana tear up the road.

View attachment 539853

View attachment 539854

Keep on... Running' Load's
old ferds never die...................

Back