Runnin' Loads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not very far and not in anything but a straight line. Backing around a corner you might as well forget it. It does have a pin to lock the tongue straight so you can cheat a little there.
Farmer? Only guy I know who can back a wagon like that is a farmer, I watched him offset back a hay wagon on the third try into a barn. I suspect that being a smidge larger and the HEMTT having a longer wheel base its a bit harder then with a tractor.

Farmer? Only guy I know who can back a wagon like that is a farmer, I watched him offset back a hay wagon on the third try into a barn. I suspect that being a smidge larger and the HEMTT having a longer wheel base its a bit harder then with a tractor.
I'm not a farmer but I grew up on one. You are exactly right it's probably doable with a tractor or something else that could turn sharper up front. Also having a longer tongue on the trailer would help but on this particular rig would probably put you over legal length. The HEMTT already has the turning radius of yacht with the double steering axles up front haha. We are building a dump box trailer on another tandem military trailer for areas where we need to be able to backup. It won't have quite the capacity of this one but should much more maneuverable. The size of this rig isn't always handy but with the crane and carrying capacity I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

I'm not a farmer but I grew up on one. You are exactly right it's probably doable with a tractor or something else that could turn sharper up front. Also having a longer tongue on the trailer would help but on this particular rig would probably put you over legal length. The HEMTT already has the turning radius of yacht with the double steering axles up front haha. We are building a dump box trailer on another tandem military trailer for areas where we need to be able to backup. It won't have quite the capacity of this one but should much more maneuverable. The size of this rig isn't always handy but with the crane and carrying capacity I wouldn't trade it for anything else.
I can see why you use it. Its about as capable an off road hauler as you will get, and parts are available. Those ammo carrier things have brakes on them dont they? Cant imagine doing more then 25 with that kind of trailer though. Probably sways like nobodies business.

I can see why you use it. Its about as capable an off road hauler as you will get, and parts are available. Those ammo carrier things have brakes on them dont they? Cant imagine doing more then 25 with that kind of trailer though. Probably sways like nobodies business.

Yeah it does have brakes on both axles. It does like to wander a little but weighs 11 k empty so that helps. It's worse on grooved 2 lane asphalt were it follows the road and not the truck. Loaded its good for 65 mph all day long

Yeah it does have brakes on both axles. It does like to wander a little but weighs 11 k empty so that helps. It's worse on grooved 2 lane asphalt were it follows the road and not the truck. Loaded its good for 65 mph all day long

I'd help you cut a load wood just to get to ride in it....really cool

Huh, I always found that and trailer with a steer axle started to wander, empty or loaded, at about 25. Noted the tires were old enough to vote, but that is beside the point.

Last Load of 4 for the day a few weeks ago. It's so much easier with the winch no more bucking on site. This was cut by the state on route 44/55 near Minawaska state park. They were dumping them in a clearing. Asked the foreman he said I could take it all. Trailer has a 12 ft bed

Attachments

• 20161220_150054.jpg
    20161220_150054.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 66
  • 20161220_150101.jpg
    20161220_150101.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 61
Did some more last week and sunday. First two are a an oak 32 inch round by 77 inch long . Guess it to be about a ton in weight. Second is maple 28 inch round by 72 inch long.

Attachments

• 20170130_162858.jpg
    20170130_162858.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 38
  • 20170208_152109.jpg
    20170208_152109.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 38
  • 20170204_133138.jpg
    20170204_133138.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 40
Thank you very much. Its a 99 k3500 4x4. In addition to being a 1 ton its got adjustable airbags in the rear. Standard Flat bed with hideaway gooseneck hitch for my trailer. 350 vortec with 4l80e trans. The bed does not dump but the truck was equipped when it was ordered with PTO provision on the t-case so it could be converted to dump if I ever got ambitious. This truck has pulled massive loads of the large square bales and thousands of bushels of soy beans, corn, grain, etc its entire life. The previous owner told me "its had a trailer behind it more than it hasn't". Its been a great truck for me and I don't have anything into it hardly. After they traded it in where I work I was able to purchase it for less than what they had paid to have the new flat bed put on a few months prior. I drive it everyday in the hopes of keeping my "good" truck nice and out of the salt. It has served me very well and I appreciate the compliments.

Back