Runnin' Loads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bought a wood burner on Friday, so Sunday I went to get a load of Ash.

18222330_876941650350_2007988637732484113_n.jpg

If you notice in the first pic, that's part of the roof that the storm ripped off and placed in the ash tree next to the barn. There was a 60ft+ beam running the length of the barn but unfortunately it broke when it came down. We had to do the best we could with a backhoe but it wasn't the right machine for the job. Our buddie's skytrac was already rented for the weekend so we made do with what we had.

Went out looking for morels in the Jeep on a new to me lot I got permission to cut tops on. Didn't find mushrooms yet but there are some beautiful red oak tops out there. These old friends do it right managing this lot. All of the tops are huge. The largest log cut was 53" dbh which is a huge departure from the twigs I see on landings around here. I took the J-red to get a little more time on it. It didn't sweat.IMAG1399.jpg
And since this thread is for loads of wood....IMAG1400.jpg
Wasn't even close to half of what. I cut, but something for me to play with the splitting axe at home with.

You need a little 4x8 trailer to pull behind that heep.
Got a trailer, and a wood truck. I hadn't been in this woods yet so I wanted to stay maneuverable. I took the saw thinking I'd maybe cut and leave wood on the ground to get later but I have a friend that loads rounds in anything so I felt like sending him a dumb pic.

Buddy of mine used to have a wrangler... and a 4x8 trailer.... We used to maneuver that combo through some hairy situations. Thats the only reason I mentioned it... Its a nimble size behind a wrangler and difficult to overload.

That and you can never have to many trailers.... They're like saws in their utilitarian value.

Went out looking for morels in the Jeep on a new to me lot I got permission to cut tops on. Didn't find mushrooms yet but there are some beautiful red oak tops out there. These old friends do it right managing this lot. All of the tops are huge. The largest log cut was 53" dbh which is a huge departure from the twigs I see on landings around here. I took the J-red to get a little more time on it. It didn't sweat.View attachment 577128
And since this thread is for loads of wood....View attachment 577129
Wasn't even close to half of what. I cut, but something for me to play with the splitting axe at home with.

Looks like a nice Shagbark in the background there!

IMG_2223.JPG
Uzi, I love your MTTV. How expensive is maintenance and upkeep? I've considered buying one for a tree trimming/removal and logging truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mines a HEMTT 977 it's been a great truck but not cheap to run. We register it at 94,000lbs to
pull the trailer which is about 1600 per year. Insurance is around 1200 liability only. Oil changes and upkeep isn't cheap either probably similar to a semi. It uses a lot of fluids between the hydraulic system, engine, transmission and has a lot of big/ expensive filters. Fuel mileage is horrible around 3.5 mpg.
That being said it can do what other trucks can't short of buying a huge grapple truck which would be triple the money and 1/10th the off-road ability. We can go to a job and between a big chip truck and the HEMTT with trailer we can haul a massive amount in one trip. We usually don't leave until the job is over which saves a huge amount of time fuel and man hours when you aren't running back and forth to dump logs. We travel quite a bit and being able to do everything in one shot offsets the other costs for me. The crane is absolutely awesome saves us so much time and saw work. It can pick 2500 fully extended and 4500 at a 10 ft radius. The only other thing is the size and turning radius it's not always urban friendly. I live in a rural area with many small towns so it works for us. Any other questions ask away.

My wife and me, went around and gathered firewood that was left behind in spots where we cut in the past and also apple wood from tree trimming that was done earlier.

I took this pict. just when we got started,

standard.jpg

I forgot to take a pict. after we got enough to call it a load, so this is probably the smallest load posted in this thread!
orig.gif

SR

Latest posts

Back