ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Rygaard Logging, What was he thinking?

Discussion in 'AxMen Fan Forum' started by Boleclimber, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Boleclimber

Boleclimber AboristSite Guru

Rygaard Logging needs some serious management training. The father (management) digging into the suspected personal life of Brad, then attaching it to what they view as a job performance problem is un-professional and un-called for.

With that management style, they are doomed for failure.

2. Cedarkerf

Cedarkerf Known to some as....

Its a "reality" show

3. Rftreeman

Rftreeman Addicted to ArboristSite

I missed that part. What happened?

4. wood4heat

wood4heat Addicted to ArboristSite

I wonder if it's a generational thing, complaining about kids kids these days. The captain of the boat I fished in Alaska was that way. I was a green horn who hadn't been raised in that environment and none of it was second nature to me. BUSTED my @ss but struggled the first part of the season and he just didn't understand. I must not be working hard enough or trying hard enough just plain wasn't good enough. Probably never worked a hard day in my life and didn't know what hard work was blah blah blah. By the end of the season I'd caught on and got a rhythm going and it became HE had made a worker out of me blah blah blah BS.

I could relate to Brad's situation. I think he was a plant but also figure the camera crew was asking him to describe how hard it all was. At least I hope he wasn't just whining all the time.

5. JCBearss

JCBearss ArboristSite Member

No offense to any man who works in the woods however I do think Brad had a better education in the sense of being able to convey his thoughts into words. When asked by the cvamera crew he gave them what they wanted. It is hard work up in the woods however it is a matter of having thick skin and if it was a real scinario I do not think the results would have been much different

6. slowp

slowp Tree Freak

And my reality of the reality is no longer real!:)

Maybe we are just parts of the Matrix!:eek::Eye::eek:

7. fubar2

fubar2 Addicted to ArboristSite

That whole thing struck me as being given a final exam on the first day of school. It was the kid against two of them and a crescent wrench. I wouldnt have put up with them as long as the kid did. And I think Rygaards large bellied son wasnt being professional when he was mouthing off about it after it was over. But that is just my opinion..

8. 68 Automag

68 Automag ArboristSite Lurker

Yeah the dad was real tough standing there with that wrench in his face. I have a feeling that kid would have knocked the crap out of him if he really wanted to. But the kid acted like a man and walked away

9. jburlingham

jburlingham Addicted to ArboristSite

I would agree that Mr. Rygarrd doesn't seem to be sensitive towards the new guy, however I think that Brad from what I have seen seems to be taking a while to figure out some fairly uncomplicated tasks, and he seems to have a smoke break every 30 seconds. From what I have seen of the Rygarrds they are old school workers, and they don't tolerate the stand around hands in the pockets, sitting down on the job, my father was the same way, and he was tough to work for, but he got stuff done.

10. jropo

jropo Addicted to ArboristSite

For two guys that wanted Brad gone so bad, the owner wouldn't let him leave Brad kept saying I quit and tried walking away, and the old timer kept ragging on him.

Lets draw out the moment to get the ratings up.

What is this show even about anymore?

11. Axmen365

Axmen365 ArboristSite Operative

Brad Hewretard, what a wimp!! I tend to agree with the old Ruggyard man. Brad was a wimp always taking cigarette breaks who needed a dose of reality. What real man walks off a job in the middle of the day just because the boss told you something was your fault?? The Ruggyards didn't have to give him a second chance. But the Ruggyards did and then he trashes them-he is still a mamas boy in need of awakening to the real world. He should have just left without walking up to the big man and trashing him.

12. 68 Automag

68 Automag ArboristSite Lurker

Yeah so the old man did have a point, he's old school and likes to be a hard guy to work for, he thinks that's what works so be it. But the moment he put that wrench in Brads face I lost all respect for the man. There's some things you just don't do and that's one of them.

13. Outlaw5.0

Outlaw5.0 AboristSite Guru

We have no idea how the green horn Brad was off camera. Maybe he was a spoiled mommys boy, maybe not, I would guess that he is though.

14. huskystihl

huskystihl Addicted to ArboristSite

The old man needs to take a look at his son and ask what kind of work did he do growing up. Probably pie eating king 10 yrs running at the county fair. I know if I had both show up at our shop looking for a job I know which one my dad would have hired, the one that didn't need an extra step welded on the skidder to accomodate the new help. All Gabe Rygard talks about is how he runs things now yet he must always be on a milkyway break because his dads the one thats always running things yet has the worst peole skills i've ever seen. Don't get me wrong, my dad was the biggest prick in the world at times but he also found a way to find something good in the wrongs you made.

15. Junior

Junior ArboristSite Operative

Brad wasn't meant to be in the woods, plain and simple. But I bet being coached by the camera crews didn't do him any favors...

16. Jtheo

Jtheo Addicted to ArboristSite

I never saw the son get dirty, or do any work either for that matter.:deadhorse:

17. Jtheo

Jtheo Addicted to ArboristSite

I watch the show, but this thing is scripted by some TV producer, at least in my opinion. And it's for drama and ratings. :deadhorse:

18. bigskyguy5

bigskyguy5 ArboristSite Lurker

I thought I would add some words to all this I have been following. I think everyone needs to stop and think and all the really good film of the logging and no antics? is being left on the editing floor. Anyone who has ever logged like I have in Montana, Idaho, Oregon coast, Wash coast, alaska, and all over British Columbia, already knows that yes, sometimes there are heated words exchanged between guys. And yes sometimes there are fights.

Everyone needs to keep in mind management skills vary from work force to work force, blue collar type job to white collar type job. Ive worked with all my life what I see alot of people calling old school loggers. And ive worked for younger school type loggers. I myself started out logging under my grand father and father, and worked my way up to the top jobs, and have also worked for many years as the field boss,aka loading/landing boss for erickson air crane. www.ericksonaircrane.com and there canadian divison www.air-crane.com Yes Brad does come from a younger generation, and ive had guys his age and younger by the bakers dozen under-neath me working.

Myself I have been stern with younger men, but when I did as I was tought, you take him off to the side and talk to him and show him what he did wrong, and show him all the things he is doing good too! Nothing worse than to bust your ass, and no you are, and then have some one say, well when I was your age we had to do this and that, so on and so forth. I do agree with the fact that Brad needed to be pulled up short for walking off and going to the bar for what looked like to me a burger and a beer. All family own logging compaines have different ways of doing things.

When ive run the show I make sure the entire crew eats together and shuts down for that time. And they also get 2 20 minute breaks to boot! and a 1 hour lunch break. Treat them well, pay them well, give them kuods all the time all day long when they are doing good. Make your employee feel like he is really part of the family. and when he has done something dead wrong, once again, take him off to the side and correct him in a manner that shows him your, the boss, but never walk away from that situation leaving him feeling bad. After your done correcting him, build him up with all the good he is doing and that you believe in him fully and you will do everything you can to help him in his career.

Sincerely
    Edward:greenchainsaw:

19. spencerhenry

spencerhenry ArboristSite Operative

brad reminds me of many punks i have hired over the years. they want top dollar, dont know squat, cant pull their own weight, always has an excuse for why things didnt work out right, and then will blame it all on the boss. that boss man he just doesnt understand. it is a sign of the times these days, kids want it all but dont want to pay their dues.

20. Junior

Junior ArboristSite Operative

They're flat out lazy, don't want to learn and accel at their chosen profession. And that whole "blame the boss" is a crock, everybody starts at the bottom and works their way to where they want to be in life. These kids can't blame anybody but themselves...