Sachs Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If ever a saw needed a decop it was the 143, unfortunately mine doesn't have one.

Agreed!

Stock with the flat top they are a bear!

I put one together with an aftermarket domed piston.

I was going to shoot for .024 squish, it ended up .050 (with gasket) I am seriously reconsidering.

Even with the 33 inch bar and chain, drop starting it is pretty much out o' the question.

It is harder to pull over than my buds CP 125!

017.JPG

I want to run some more 6 cubes before I put my money where my mouth is...

I just got my hands on a 143 with scored top end to add to the Dolly collection. Is it just me or did some of the 343 cut off saws have decomps on them? Doesn't seem like it would be hard to add a decomp to these saws even if they didn't originally come with them.

Someone school me a little more. I just read that JJ had a stack and K&N on his, that's cool. Now, the cylinders... Is there different/better ones to have, like the stihl 026/044? Lastly how is the weight of a 143? Everyone always compaires the power to weight ratio on pro saws so just wondering where this one ranks with other 90-100cc saws.

Fortunatly I have several very good guys in state that can do everything that I can't. Hell, they can do everything that I dream up and more most times! It's fun to think outside the box and add mods to saws.

Ok so since we've been talking 9010/9000's...

I just got a 9000 in and unfortunately it hasn't been converted to the new ign yet. What's the deal with the new ign that was updated from the 9000 to the 9010 model. I realize the manufacturer upgraded it but wondering more why or what specifically changed? limited to unlimited??

Also, it also has the Bing carb. From everything that I've heard/read the Bing carb isn't good??? Anyone want to make some comments toward these opinions with some more substantive reasoning/justification???

Is $299 OTD for Dolmar 420 a good price?

Depends, is it new? That is a average price for a new one OTD from a dealer. There is a NIB one on fleabay for $275 right now + $29S&H. There was also one that sold a week or two ago NIB for $284 shipped. The newer 421 model has been selling for right at $300 shipped too.

Yup brand new on the shelf. This dealer probably sells 5 saws a year they're more into lawn equipment. Its been on the shelf for about 2 years but i need a small saw and keep hearing good things about the 420/421 so maybe i'll haggle with him. Thanks.

Sent from my Autotune Carb

I just got my hands on a 143 with scored top end to add to the Dolly collection. Is it just me or did some of the 343 cut off saws have decomps on them? Doesn't seem like it would be hard to add a decomp to these saws even if they didn't originally come with them.

Someone school me a little more. I just read that JJ had a stack and K&N on his, that's cool. Now, the cylinders... Is there different/better ones to have, like the stihl 026/044? Lastly how is the weight of a 143? Everyone always compaires the power to weight ratio on pro saws so just wondering where this one ranks with other 90-100cc saws.

Fortunatly I have several very good guys in state that can do everything that I can't. Hell, they can do everything that I dream up and more most times! It's fun to think outside the box and add mods to saws.

There were 143s that came with decomps also. The early 143 used 1.5 mm rings. The 143 super had a different cylinder and used 1.2 mm rings.

OK so I worked on cleaning up the new 9000 last night and I noticed a couple things. There is 2 more threaded holes that fit the bar studs fit in on the crankcase behind the bar plate. I also noticed that there are matching detents on the clutch cover so you can drill the clutch cover and and move the bar studs...????? I don't know that I've ever noticed this on the other 9010's... Were these used for cut off saws or for other power equipment that I don't know about? Why are there 4 threaded holes in the bar mount area? I will add that the two threaded holes are covered by the bar plate. Any comments or ideas here guys????

Really? So I can use a 14mm large mount on this saw? Is there anything I need to modify to align the oiling holes? Is there a part number for the bar studs? I'll go look at the IPL but can't remember seeing 2 entries for the bar studs. Did the 9010 and 9000 come with these? Suppose I can go look at my 9010's to figure that out...

I have a 343 with de-comp, never seen a 143 with one?

I'm going to mount a K&N (er other) on me 143 mx.

Using a top from a 309/343 gives you a nice basis for a 5" dia. filter.

I have a 343 with de-comp, never seen a 143 with one?
I'm going to mount a K&N (er other) on me 143 mx.
Using a top from a 309/343 gives you a nice basis for a 5" dia. filter.
Cool I didn;t even thing about using the old canister mount for a K&N on a 123-143... Good idea since I already have those parts. Does anyone make a direct replacement high flow filter for the OEM canister 309 style? Might be making a milling saw eventually so the cut-off saw filtration is always a bonus.

Really? So I can use a 14mm large mount on this saw? Is there anything I need to modify to align the oiling holes? Is there a part number for the bar studs? I'll go look at the IPL but can't remember seeing 2 entries for the bar studs. Did the 9010 and 9000 come with these? Suppose I can go look at my 9010's to figure that out...

I got all this from ipls. image.jpg 33B is the sprocket cover for the husqvarna mount.
image.jpg image.jpg 40 and 41 are the bar studs and guide plates for the husky mount.

Ok so since we've been talking 9010/9000's...

I just got a 9000 in and unfortunately it hasn't been converted to the new ign yet. What's the deal with the new ign that was updated from the 9000 to the 9010 model. I realize the manufacturer upgraded it but wondering more why or what specifically changed? limited to unlimited??

Also, it also has the Bing carb. From everything that I've heard/read the Bing carb isn't good??? Anyone want to make some comments toward these opinions with some more substantive reasoning/justification???

I just saw the dolmar service bulletin concerning the coils and bing carb. I've got to say I'm a little confused by it so someone with more knowledge should speak up, but if I got it right the 024 143 020 coil was for Europe and the 024 143 100 was the US coil. Both of these were for the 9000. The service bulletin said the 020 coil was replacing the 100 coil. And that the 020 coil? Was limited to 13,500rpm. It didn't say why it was being replaced. The 9010 came with its own coil/flywheel combo. As for the bing, the service bulletin addressed the excessive inlet needle wear and provided part numbers to an improved inlet needle. They were plastic. I measured the Venturi and it is identical to the tillotson. From what I remember reading on AS, the 9000 died at idle on occasion, but I'm not sure if this is the carb or ign.

I just saw the dolmar service bulletin concerning the coils and bing carb. I've got to say I'm a little confused by it so someone with more knowledge should speak up, but if I got it right the 024 143 020 coil was for Europe and the 024 143 100 was the US coil. Both of these were for the 9000. The service bulletin said the 020 coil was replacing the 100 coil. And that the 020 coil? Was limited to 13,500rpm. It didn't say why it was being replaced. The 9010 came with its own coil/flywheel combo. As for the bing, the service bulletin addressed the excessive inlet needle wear and provided part numbers to an improved inlet needle. They were plastic. I measured the Venturi and it is identical to the tillotson. From what I remember reading on AS, the 9000 died at idle on occasion, but I'm not sure if this is the carb or ign.

All I can remember reading on AS is that the 9000's should replace their ign with the new coil and FW package... I pulled the below part number from the IPLs on BarretSmallENgine.com and then search the number in the online edge and engine search. Can you post or add a link to the service bullitin? I'd like to read them and have the part numbers for the Bing carb. Are you saying the origional carb needle is plastic or that the replacement is plastic?

I remember asking Shaun if my coil was limited after he ported it and he said it wasn't. I honestly haven't touched the tuning since he ported it and haven't over-revved it without load.

Edge and Engine lists the following:
9000 coil: 024-143-020 Discontinued (no superseded part#)
9010 coil: 024-143-050 superseded to 024-143-051

9000 FW: 024-141-200 superseded to 957-143-010 (this new 957 number is for a coil and flywheel package)
9010 FW: 024-141-210

The coil on my 9010's are blue. According to Shaun unlimited I'm assuming.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389986211.750619.jpg

The coil on my 9000 is black. Assuming this to be the origional discontinued 020 coil that is rev limited.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389986237.054084.jpg

The coils are not marked with specific 9 digit part numbers so...

IF i'm not correct about something... Someone please correct me!!!

:)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the coil pics. I think we can piece it together from them. The black coil labeled cdic 120/2 has to be the European coil 020. I say this because the 10/1999 IPL lists the USA/AUS 100 coil as cdic 120/5. I have the 120/2 also, but my saw isn't close to running, so see if your 020 coil is limited to 13,500, or another rpm limit, or unlimited if possible. The blue 9010 coil is limited, right? I think cut4fun replied to jj in a post somewhere that all the 9000/9010 coils were limited. To what rpm? That one says cdim 120/5. It should be the 050 coil, superseded by 051, and not work with the 9000 flywheel. Also, would you compare the 2 coils lamination alignment in a photo? If you took a picture with the 2 coils facing each other so that I can compare the orientation of the pickups and the coil mounting holes.

Back