Sachs Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of 120si's. Put this one together yesterday. Its the roughest of the three I have using the worst cylinder and piston but I am just going to be using this as my go to general saw. Have another perfect cylinder and new piston to use with what will be my "best" saw of this trio.IMG_2818.JPG IMG_2821.JPG IMG_2822.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2823.JPG
    IMG_2823.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
A friend picked up a really big collection of Dolmar's recently including a 9010 and 9000. The 9010 had been straight fuelled and the 9000 had ignition issues. Of course that was always going to be a match made in heaven. Put one good saw together and for my trouble I got a nice 112. Wins all around!!

I don't know,.... I won't let anyone gas my saws and my gas only comes out of one can I mix myself, nuff said :) I just bought a 112 for short money seeing as I'm starting to really like these saws and this one is the limited edition silver one. I guess cad is really setting in! Lol!!

How can you make a mistake like that (straight gas) on a $1000 saw?

Mark
Happens a lot down here. A guy that I deal with a lot has just picked up an as new stihl 660 that the owner ran straight gas through because he had a couple of containers of fuel and just picked up the wrong one (it would have had less than 20 hours on what was 2000+ saw down here, same bloke has a 461 that the owner backed over on its second outing!!!. The Dolmar came from Tasmania where Australia biggest logging industry is and I would say that it was decommissioned by the company and sold on to someone who just got a cheap, big powerful saw. My friend came back from a trip with 52 saws including Dolmar 153, 143, 133 super, 123, 120si, 116si, 112 and the two 9000/9010 not to mention things like husky 2100's and big Stihls. All of these saws were just generally neglected saws that were commercial saws that were eventually just used as occasional use general public saws with all that entails. Carb settings on the one in the video were pretty good and it does no appear to be leaking air anywhere - will give it a better run today to check all is well.

I don't know,.... I won't let anyone gas my saws and my gas only comes out of one can I mix myself, nuff said :) I just bought a 112 for short money seeing as I'm starting to really like these saws and this one is the limited edition silver one. I guess cad is really setting in! Lol!!
I started out liking Dolmars, but I have found that Stihl guys in particular, once they start having a look at the Dolly's tend to get hooked. 112/114 is a really good little saw (which is not that little for a 50cc class saw!!). Its very well made and with a high quality closed port cylinder and tillosten carb is a true pro grade saw with metal everything except the starter. One of those saws that runs bigger than its capacity suggests it should.

I started out liking Dolmars, but I have found that Stihl guys in particular, once they start having a look at the Dolly's tend to get hooked. 112/114 is a really good little saw (which is not that little for a 50cc class saw!!). Its very well made and with a high quality closed port cylinder and tillosten carb is a true pro grade saw with metal everything except the starter. One of those saws that runs bigger than its capacity suggests it should.
Very cool! I can't wait to get it. When I re did that Dolmar for my friend I was just amazed when I put it in the wood! :)

I was able to visit the museum/hall of fame very briefly once in Latrobe.

I was also fortunate enough to visit the land of the giants in Western Australia.

Mark
There are some fantastic places to visit in Australia Mark for sure. Tassie is interesting for saw enthusiasts as there are still so many big old saws hanging around. Same trip described above netted 3xSP125's which is unheard of down here were a 125 does not come along very often. Because its an Island you cant just go for a drive to grab stuff and people have not been bothered to develop the connections down there. Still a lot of good saws to be discovered I think.

Very cool! I can't wait to get it. When I read did that Dolmar for my friend I was just amazed when I put it in the wood! :)
They are all like that, not the chain speed of modern saws but great functional torque. Its why the 116si and 120si are so good. The 116 thinks its a 68cc saw and the 120 a 72, and the harder the wood the more they seem to shine.

I bought a 120Super parts saw. I figured the mag and recoil, coil and most stuff would be the same but they are different. It looks like i can switch the chainbrake hardware to the 120SI sproket cover although it is a different design. I assumed the only difference between the saws was the size of the carb but im learning. I really need manuals and parts lists for all these saws! :)

Nice deal. Where do you find them?
Found it from a dealer I went to buy a chain for my cc 116 ; but it's only because he was in good mood ... Usually he don't want to listen everything and this day was the good . And this why I go there when I have no choice :lol:

120 Super or 6800 are saws that I really want to find ; but I need to continue my curent projects ; have a stihl 051 to build from bunch of parts and a husqy 298 waiting for new bearings and cylinder , 2101 is also waiting for a P/C ...

I was taking some time today to pull a number of saws out of the small garage and run them for a bit, need to do that every so often to make sure I keep them all in good working order. The SP85 (AKA 133) started right up and ran and oiled just like it was out for a run last week when in fact it has likely been more like a year...

The SP118 (AKA166) had an issue with the starter, I didn't remember putting it way like that but off to the shop we went. I didn't take any photos today but found this old one from back when I first got this saw. As it arrived, the starter only had one of the "brake springs" 113 166 081 so I did my best to make a second from a piece of stiff wire. When I took the starter apart I found the original brake spring had broken so my first attempt was to make another but I didn't have any suitable wire on hand so now what? I looked through my collection of hitch pin clips but nothing there would work either. As I pondered this I remembered that I have a large collection of various starter pawl springs I've collected, mostly from McCulloch saws. Sorting through that bin I did find one with the right diameter to fit over the post of the starter and was able to bend one end to engage the pawl on the Dolmar starter. I went through 6 or 8 more before I found a second one (opposite wrap as the first) and was able to make up a second one and get it back in working order. The trick is they need to have enough grip on the shaft to engage and disengage the starter pawls, but not so much that they disconnect from the pawls by gripping the post too well.

DSCN2247.jpg

If anyone out there has a line on the OEM parts I would be more than happy to swap these out, but until then I have a working starter again.

Once the starter was fixed the saw fired right up and just like the 133, oils well and would be ready to go for the next GTG.

DSCN2619.jpg

DSCN2616.jpg

Mark

I started up a facebook page called Aussie Chainsaw Enthusiasts. We have a competition running at the moment for firewood saws under $150 dollars (around 100us). You have to do a video introducing yourself and your saw and showing it cutting. Winner will be by vote by page members for the saw they would choose if they had to use it for cutting wood for a season. Its been interesting with a number of blokes going for Chinese saws that they have then essentially rebuilt.

I went for a Dolly 116si that I got for 100oz and then brought a cheap bar and chain. This is my video. I have said it before and will say it again - these Dolmars are fantastic saws that are still fantastically usable 25 years down the track.

This is my video. Great camera work by my 9 year old daughter Pip.

Nice find for the 166 !
Recently I bought what was supposed to be a 143 but with no surprise it looks like more to a 123 with the 343 top end and cover ... The serial number is "gone" and also the id plate .
It started fine but it was slow to rev on cut so I checked carburetor number and surprise : instead of a tillotson hs 232 or 203 it runs with a 187 ... I think it can makes a difference . This saw need a big check out it's sure :crazy2:
143 (2).jpg 143 (1).jpg 143 (4).jpg
143 (3).jpg 143 (5).jpg

Yep, the green ones made for Poulan are Sachs in different colors.
Pioneerguy600
I just got my first Sachs Dolmar 120 and don't know a lot about them. Just starting to learn over the past 3-4 months.
I read somewhere that it was the other way around, that Poulan made saws for Sachs Dolmar. Which way is correct?

Back