Sae 30 used in chainsaw fuel?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it used to be true...

If STIHL thought that putting SAE 30 oil in the fuel was better, they would put it in their bottles.

Actually the original manual for my (formerly Pop's) 031av circa. 1974 says that 30w mix is alright if Stihl oil is not available.
-br

I remember my dad mixing fuel for the Remington's I still have a Quart can of it, remember the stab in funnel?And I said Quart not litre as we did not switch to metric til 76 I remember getting the metric rulers in school I was like what the H***

I remember my dad mixing fuel for the Remington's I still have a Quart can of it, remember the stab in funnel?And I said Quart not litre as we did not switch to metric til 76 I remember getting the metric rulers in school I was like what the H***
Yeah I remember those spickets they used for the oil cans back in the day. Then toward the end I remember seeing plastic stabbers for the oil cans. I think it's what started the plastic crap.

Last edited:
Operators manual for a 1996 husqvarna saw I have recommends using two-stroke oil at 50:1 gas/oil mix for best performance. Where no two-stroke oil is available, motor oil SAE 30 can be used at 25:1 gas/oil mix.

I also remember the dingleberry metric rulers given to us in school during the mid-70's....remember keeping it for awhile and then chucking it

My Seagull Outboard engine asks for 7:1 30wt - and gets it. I'm not wasting fancy 2-stroke oil on that old thing... it smokes a little bit. :D

Lawn Boy Oil????

Hey guys hate to ask but what do you think of lawn boy 2 cycle oil? still buy it in the 8oz cans everywhere. I'm using 16-1 whadda-ya -think??????

It works.

Hey guys hate to ask but what do you think of lawn boy 2 cycle oil? still buy it in the 8oz cans everywhere. I'm using 16-1 whadda-ya -think??????

Yeah - it's fine - I've run 32:1 in saws no problem.
At the moment I'm using husky oil; but I've used the lawn-boy oil in saws, trimmers, mowers, etc..
This 2 stroke oil is 30 weight oil with additives
Actually it's made by Citgo here is more info
HTML:
http://www.lawnboy.com/productinfo/safety/docs/106-5910.pdf

I think the pretty purple color is what makes it work. :D
-br

Last edited:
My old 041 manual says run SAE30 at 25:1 or Stihl oil at 40:1.

My Seagull Outboard engine asks for 7:1 30wt - and gets it. I'm not wasting fancy 2-stroke oil on that old thing... it smokes a little bit. :D

Your Seagull(killer) Outboard? Aren't those the ones used to lay down the smoke screen on D-Day? 7-1? It must look like the :censored:Exxon Valdez was there!:dizzy:

Yeah remember royal triton we used to call it beet juice, still have a case of that stuff.

Yeah - it's fine - I've run 32:1 in saws no problem.
At the moment I'm using husky oil; but I've used the lawn-boy oil in saws, trimmers, mowers, etc..
This 2 stroke oil is 30 weight oil with additives
Actually it's made by Citgo here is more info
HTML:
http://www.lawnboy.com/productinfo/safety/docs/106-5910.pdf

I think the pretty purple color is what makes it work. :D
-br

Cough, cough...

My family's first saw was a Stihl 040 ('67). There must have been a large storm blow-down or something that prompted dad to lay out the money, because he and his father were always ax-men.
Small saw, weighs a ton, and runs .404 chain on a 16" bar! :dizzy:
I'm in the process of restoring it, and when I scraped enough dirt and oil off I could read the Dymo label I put on it as a teen that reads "oil mix - 25:1".

I also remember not worrying about the mosquitoes 'cause the operator would always be enveloped in a blue cloud of smoke. :hmm3grin2orange:

I suspect this guy was 70 or 80 years old, and specializes in antique equipment. I would personally have to disagree with him and stick with a good quality synthetic 2 stroke for air cooled engines at a ration of 50:1

Sounds like a $mart shop owner to me. Keeps you coming back for parts and service. Recession proof advice.

7:1 I would love to run that thing in the Monterey Bay Marine Sanctuary on Earth Day. I bet it leaves a purty rainbow in the water behind you, plus it may just kill a flock of seagulls; excellent.

The later models (they started building them in the 30's, and kept going until the 90's!) went up to 10:1, saving the environment one engine at a time! :D
You can now get a conversion kit to run them on 25:1, but I'm not spending any money on it, it just hangs off the back of the boat as a spare...

Operators manual for a 1996 husqvarna saw I have recommends using two-stroke oil at 50:1 gas/oil mix for best performance. Where no two-stroke oil is available, motor oil SAE 30 can be used at 25:1 gas/oil mix.

I also remember the dingleberry metric rulers given to us in school during the mid-70's....remember keeping it for awhile and then chucking it
One very nice thing about the metric system it is idiot proof when it comes to Ratios and such. Plus I can eyeball a km and say that is a very long shot lol.
But in the trades especially carpenters it is good to see the young kid's have to learn Inches and feet.

Back