ArboristSite.com Sponsors
 
 


Safe to burn firewood w/ white mold, green mold, fungus?

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by EngineerDude, Oct 27, 2007.

  1. EngineerDude

    EngineerDude ArboristSite Operative

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2005
    Messages:
    123
    Likes Received:
    14
    Location:
    Syracuse, NY
    Neighbor was moving, wanted to get rid of some mixed cherry and maple logs he'd intended to cut, split & use but never got around to it. Stuff didn't look great, but I took it anyway. Cut / split it, kept what looked reasonably good and bonfired the rest. Went to grab some, and noticed lots of white mold, green mold, and fungus, the latter sprouting from the ends.

    It's stored outside, but of course has to come inside to burn, and in bringing it in I guess I risk elevating the airborne mold spores inside the house. Once burning, it seems the spores will be killed by the heat, so that shouldn't be an issue, right?

    Seeking input on this. Last thing I want to do is create a big, expensive to solve, mold problem in my house due to some free firewood, but if it's not going to be a problem, then of course I want to use it.
     
    Sprig likes this.
  2. Sprig

    Sprig Addicted to ArboristSite

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2005
    Messages:
    3,219
    Likes Received:
    606
    Location:
    SaltSpring Island BC Can.
    Use it, the one to watch out for is black mold, the stuff is deadly. Keep the wood outside till you need to burn it, no problem, wear gloves or wash your hands after handling it, SOP. Enjoy the free stuff eh!! :) :chainsaw: :)

    :cheers:

    Serge
     
  3. RaisedByWolves

    RaisedByWolves Addicted to ArboristSite

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2006
    Messages:
    4,576
    Likes Received:
    722
    Location:
    SE Pennsylvania
    Yep, I run into stuff like that often. I usually ignore it, although I do tend to reach for these pieces first when Im loading the stove.



    .
     
  4. Ianab

    Ianab ArboristSite Operative

    Joined:
    May 30, 2006
    Messages:
    301
    Likes Received:
    41
    Location:
    New Zealand
    There will be some mould spores on the wood, so take care handling it in case you get an allergic reaction. But they will only grow if they come across a suitable site to grow. i.e. some more damp wood.
    If your home had suitable sites it would already be mouldy from spores that are floating in the air all the time anyway.

    Cheers

    Ian
     
  5. mga

    mga Tree Freak

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2006
    Messages:
    21,297
    Likes Received:
    4,696
    Location:
    near rochester, but not in it

    why? what's with that black mold?
     
  6. Sprig

    Sprig Addicted to ArboristSite

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2005
    Messages:
    3,219
    Likes Received:
    606
    Location:
    SaltSpring Island BC Can.
    I refer to stachybotrys chartarum, better known as toxic black mold.
    It has a tendency to spread very quickly given the slightest chance (high humidity, cool corners etc.), is toxic to people (especially kids) as our immune systems don't seem to handle it well, and once established is a real bear to get under control. Google it and you'll find all sorts of horror stories about it.
    On the wet west coast here it is very prevalent and houses/buildings (lots of leaky condo nightmares here) have been condemned because of it, its just nasty stuff.
    Heres a start if you're curious> http://www.moldunit.com/001-black-mold.html
    http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/apt_condo_living/107593

    :cheers:

    Serge
     
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2007

Share This Page