Sassafras

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Other than fast burn, any reasons why I shouldn't burn sassafras? I have access to a lot of it. Hate to let it rot. At least mix it in with some locust and hedge or something. Just wanting some thoughts

I've been burning a bunch of it lately, definitely need to mix with something else for good heat but it burns fine.

Both my parents were transplants from Kentucky and it was common to drink Sassafras Tea back there. I have very fond memories, when I was a kid, of my mom making us kids Sassafras Tea here in Idaho. Nobody drinks it out here and this thread has jogged my memory and made me want some. You could just grind up some of that bark and send it to me:)

Other than fast burn, any reasons why I shouldn't burn sassafras? I have access to a lot of it. Hate to let it rot. At least mix it in with some locust and hedge or something. Just wanting some thoughts

I really don't go out of my way to get it, but if it's a tree that's gotta come down, then I certainly wouldn't toss it off to the side. One good thing I like about sassafras is that it dries quick. The smell is pleasing too. Right up there with black cherry and black birch.

Both my parents were transplants from Kentucky and it was common to drink sassafras tea back there. I have very fond memories, when I was a kid, my mom making us kids sassafras tea here in Idaho. Nobody drinks it out here and this thread has jogged my memory and made me want some. You could just grind up some of that bark and send it to me:)

We made Sassafras Tea, Sassafras Beer (more like root beer or birch beer, a soft drink), and we used Sassafras to season several things on the farm, but most notably when we were boiling Apple Butter. However, we only used the root of the young Sassafras trees, never the bark.

Oh, yea, and we burned the trees on piles in the fields to get rid of it. Never bothered to process for firewood.

We made Sassafras Tea, Sassafras Beer (more like root beer or birch beer, a soft drink), and we used Sassafras to season several things on the farm, but most notably when we were boiling Apple Butter. However, we only used the root of the young Sassafras trees, never the bark.

Oh, yea, and we burned the trees on piles in the fields to get rid of it. Never bothered to process for firewood.

I hope Alex doesn't send me any of that bark. You're right, it was the root, not the bark. I'm glad you posted because you brought up another good childhood memory for me: Homemade Apple Butter.

It tends to throw sparks. I burn it but usually split it small for kindling. It lights very easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had quite a bit on the farm I grew up on...Some as big as 30" dbh that our neighbor milled. Made some nice lumber light but strong, nice grain.

If you have a secondary combustion stove I find it really goes like heck for a while - must be something about whatever oils are in it, but it will put on a hell of a show and some serious heat. And then it just stops! After that cooks out it's not so great.

I have a lot of it but none seems to get very big - I have looked to see what might be killing it but have not found any info. Consequently I cut a fair amount of it, usually into short pieces for the small stove.

Mmm. Smells like rootbeer when you burn it. The twigs can be used for kindling. They have so much resin they will light with a match even when green.

I would definitely burn it before I would let it rot. That is if it's easy to get to.:)

The stairs in one of my rentals is sassafrass. Looks just like oak. Took us a year to track down enough boards wide enough to build those steps.

On the farm we have a ton of it but it only gets 12" or so before it dies and is the most crooked trees I've ever seen

On the farm we have a ton of it but it only gets 12" or so before it dies and is the most crooked trees I've ever seen
Yes, just like ours. I thought they were supposed to get bigger - anyone know what's after them?

If it is sick, or already on the ground it is firewood. Mix with hardwoods as it is not great heat. Don't fall asleep if sitting around a sassafras campfire. For tea we only use the bark from the roots, boil it, delicious.

If you have a secondary combustion stove I find it really goes like heck for a while - must be something about whatever oils are in it, but it will put on a hell of a show and some serious heat. And then it just stops! After that cooks out it's not so great.

What you describe is very much how hemlock burns in my drolet heatmax . Secondary's light off like crazy then it kind of just peters out , but it actually burns great and throws a good amount of heat

Both my parents were transplants from Kentucky and it was common to drink Sassafras Tea back there. I have very fond memories, when I was a kid, of my mom making us kids Sassafras Tea here in Idaho. Nobody drinks it out here and this thread has jogged my memory and made me want some. You could just grind up some of that bark and send it to me:)
Better in the Spring from roots and twigs.

Mmm. Smells like rootbeer when you burn it. The twigs can be used for kindling. They have so much resin they will light with a match even when green.
It smells like root beer be cause it is. Sassafras is the dominant flavor in what we call root beer.

Latest posts

Back