Saw in for repair and found something I had not seen before.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockjock

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A couple of days ago I have a Echo CS-400 dropped off by someone for me to have a look at. I would start up just fine but at WOT it would bog down. So I thought ok check the easy things first, fuel line and fuel filter. I checked both in good nick. Ok so I will try and adjust the carb perhaps. I look with a light and see limiter caps. So I think ok I will take off the upper portion of the top of the case so I can get a better angle at the limiters. No luck but I realize I have the stihl tool to remove them and it works treat.. I remove them, get the factory specs make the adjustments and it still bogs down. Ok carb kit it is then so I put the saw back together but the spark plug wire is in the way so I remove the cap to get more room and find this.

10931469_402087436613892_3220659596991563996_o.jpg

I changed the plug and the saw runs perfectly again. Has anyone else has this happen before? I looked inside the cap and could not find the tip. Learn something new all the time.

I had same problem with champion plug. I installed new impuls line then rebuild the carb. Had now effect - i was pretty pissed so i sat down to clam down.

I had same problem with champion plug. I installed new impuls line then rebuild the carb. Had now effect - i was pretty pissed so i sat down to clam down.

I actually was laughing! when I found it. The best I think was a new hardly used MS 250 with the easy start, the small c clip holding the whole rewind assembly was gone. The guy sold it to me for cheap. He was sure the crank was snapped. $0.29 later it was fixed. I called the guy and told him it was an easy fix and he could come and get it for the 20 bucks I paid him and the 29 cents! He has since dropped off a few thousand dollars of repairs thus far.

Had it on a friends lawn mower where the spark plug is right at the front and gets mashed into bushes and low trees, never seen that on a saw though

I actually was laughing! when I found it. The best I think was a new hardly used MS 250 with the easy start, the small c clip holding the whole rewind assembly was gone. The guy sold it to me for cheap. He was sure the crank was snapped. $0.29 later it was fixed. I called the guy and told him it was an easy fix and he could come and get it for the 20 bucks I paid him and the 29 cents! He has since dropped off a few thousand dollars of repairs thus far.
Smart businessman!

I had the center fall out of a couple of Champions over the years and have had a couple other brands (forget which) that had cracked insulators right in the box.

Back