Saw Maintenance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffchewy17

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
looking for some info/help on preparing a new saw maintenance program for my FD. We currently do not have an PM schedule for saws. I am trying to implement a program for bi-annual PM on all the departments saws. I will be doing all the repairs, I do have experience in full saw rebuilds. I'm looking for any general forms that shops/builders use to get an idea from customers what's wrong with saws. The dept is throwing out saws that have scored Pistons from straight gas/ air leaks/ over heating. The current maintenance group has no idea on how to clean cylinders with transfer or even replace coils, fuel lines, pistons, crankcase bearings or that it's even possible. The maintenance crew recently threw out (3) 461 and (2) 1260 with just scored Pistons, they didn't even try to fix them, they hit the dumpster before I could stop them.... I'm still pissed. Also trying to put together a 4-hour basic saw maintenance class for 800 personnel, any class curriculum that anyone could share would be great.

Current saw list-
(81) Partner/Husqvarna K950/K960
(24) Husqvarna K1260
(14) Stihl 461R
(28) Vent Master Husky 575xp
(52) Stihl 044/441

I have the Maintenance Manual/IPl for the saws. The 52 Stihl 044/441 are used for strictly wood cutting and are issued to all the units during hurricanes/disaster so they sit most of the year. The cut-off saws are used on all the Tower Trucks/Heavy Rescues and get a good amount of use, same with the 461R and Vent Masters.
Anything particular to look for in the 575xp? 044/441? Would the VP SEF be good to run through the 044/441 before they are put back on the shelf? I always idle my personal saws dry with VP SEF for long term storage.

I have experience with the 461, WWS 390xp, and Dolmar 7900, that's what I use personally at home.
Thank you.

You need to be in the chainsaw thread.

I have to ask; "800 person saw maintenance course? How did you come up with that number? Are you putting on courses or is this a semester tour?..haha

Latest posts

Back