Saw sharpening advice for a noob

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing totally overblown in all these sharpening threads is the prescision requirements. If you eye the precision or you recheck everything with a mikrometer the difference in cutting speed is neglectable in the real world. So all the talk about buying the most precise is simply for ones ego and has nothing to do with the real world. Correct cutting techniques coupeld with a real world sharp chain will land much more wood than any super duper mega hair splitting chain that dull's with every sand grain contact.

Personally I use a Husqvarna roller guide or recently more and more and not only for rocked chains the simple harbor freight electric grinder. It sharpens easily more than good enough!

Use the file size recommended from the manufacture for the specific chain your using, and practice. Some tips from "Buckin Billy Ray". Gotta get the gullet!

While I do like to watch his videos I am not all that sure of his sharpening videos. Never met anyone that needed 15 passes for a slightly dull chain before. I fear he gets 2-3 uses per chain at the rate he is filing. I prefer to keep it as simple as Possible. The moment you add the use of micrometers you are making it far too complex IMO

My suggestion is to find someone experienced in sharpening by hand to develop your "raw" skills, in person is best or through youtube, books, etc is OK

You can buy a stihl or oregon file holder and see how it holds the file against the chain (after setting it up per instructions). The concept is the same for hand filing vs holder filing. I find the holder more cumbersome than it's worth for what I do (casual stuff).

Being able to sharpen a chain the field with nothing but a file is probably one of the most most valuable skills you can have as a saw operator IMO.

No harm though in using many of the good tools listed above if you find them easier... I just recommend you either start by hand filing and then migrate to easier tools, or use easier tools until you can reliably hand sharpen.. then do whatever you feel is easiest.

side note.. my new favorite is with stones in a battery operated dremmel, gotta watch but very quick.

Good info above
Learn to file by hand and carry an extra file when you go to the woods. Take a very close look at a new chain, the angles, raker height, etc, and when your chain gets dull you will have a good idea.
Be sure you use the correct size file. Wrong size file will sure create some sweat.

I fear he gets 2-3 uses per chain at the rate he is filing.

Video Sponsored by chain company?

If you've had repeated damage and the tooth length is off to the point that you need to start measuring them maybe it's time to have someone run the power sharpener over them?

Other than a filing guide, the #2 tool that I'd recommend for a beginner is a good bench vise. Locking the saw in place and having a solid work surface while applying the chain brake will make sharpening your chair much easier and REPEATABLE.

While I do like to watch his videos I am not all that sure of his sharpening videos. Never met anyone that needed 15 passes for a slightly dull chain before. I fear he gets 2-3 uses per chain at the rate he is filing. I prefer to keep it as simple as Possible. The moment you add the use of micrometers you are making it far too complex IMO

Micrometer is absolutely the best tool I have when I get a chain out of whack via rock encounter or whatever. I can count strokes religiously but one side of my cutters always gets long and this gets me back to cutting straight

I learned how to hand sharpen a chain when i went to college,(sir sandford fleming) years ago. However now I use an Oregon 12v power sharpener. Is similar to a dremel. Is quick and easy to use, puts a good edge on the chain. I am thinking of either a bar mount or bench mount for ease of keeping proper angle, and using the 12v for quick field touch ups.

Back