Saw won't start after sitting a few days unless primed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k_kindig11

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Working on a friend's 036 pro that he was having trouble with. Wouldn't start for him. It needed a new fuel line so I went ahead and changed fuel line, fuel filter, air filter, and put on a brand new carb. The saw won't start if it sits a couple days. I have to prime it. Once it starts that first time off prime, I can start and stop it all day long without priming it. Seems like it's losing vacuum or prime or something after sitting a day or two. Saw has 150psi compression. Any ideas? Impulse hose? New fuel line, carb, air filter, fuel filter, spark plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put new fuel in it.

I will check the choke flap this afternoon when I get home. For some reason I think you might be on to something there....

Both mine are a bit of a pain for starting cold. Takes a good 6-8 pulls before it pops.
Just something I got used to, I use them everyday and have anyways been like that.

You guys are good. Checked choke valve and its was open about 1/8" at full choke. Adjusted the linkage a little so it would put more pressure on it and close all the way... Problem solved. Can't believe I didn't notice when I put the carb on. Thanks all.

You guys are good. Checked choke valve and its was open about 1/8" at full choke. Adjusted the linkage a little so it would put more pressure on it and close all the way... Problem solved. Can't believe I didn't notice when I put the carb on. Thanks all.
Same thing happened to me on an 028 Super. Choke wasn't closing all the way and fast idle was too slow. It's hard to tell on these because the choke linkage is part of the air filter. I've never liked that design, but somehow it seems to work.

Back