Saws 'n stuff in Japan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just sold/gave a wood cutter in need my JD q600f made by kioritz (spelled wrong) that I had for 20 years and never let me down, you boys also knew how to build one heck of a saw.

I'd get banned if I posted a pic of her butt. lol Lets just say I don't care for the looks of stihl saws. ;)

Mike & Molly is on CBS, and it's real easy to google up a pic of McCarthy.

This is what would make me feel better.

045e93b10248005b51f7170c39a3e40b.jpg

Seam's threads on saws from Japan are so interesting. I'd love to see some saw collections from around the world, especially China - I wonder what saws are in the collections over there. As much China bashing that goes on in this forum, it would be interesting to see a collection of Chinese and/or Russian saws.

I'd still like to get a loop of Chinese/Russian 'Tiger' chain to try on my saw. Seam, have you ever tried the Tiger chain to compare it to some of the other chains?

Thanks for the comments and Likes!!
Tiger chain?? Never heard of such a thing. Could you clarify?
There is a special chain for cutting bamboo in Japan. Those are loops with cutters and drive links only - a PITA to file :crazy:.

About 3 years ago I was doing research on where saw chain was made and I found the Tiger chain being made at the same factory as Carlton. It looked like a Carlton knock-off and I figured it might be a less expensive brand for the local market.

Doing research tonight, I can't find Tiger chain, but it may be that they have changed the name to Sanmu. I note that it looks like Carlton and even mentioned Carlton on a roll - http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/tiger-saw-chain-from-Germany_724064103.html - I like the advertising, "chain from Germany" (note where the factory is located, LOL)

Is the Sanmu brand available in Japan?

About 3 years ago I was doing research on where saw chain was made and I found the Tiger chain being made at the same factory as Carlton. It looked like a Carlton knock-off and I figured it might be a less expensive brand for the local market.

Doing research tonight, I can't find Tiger chain, but it may be that they have changed the name to Sanmu. I note that it looks like Carlton and even mentioned Carlton on a roll - http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/tiger-saw-chain-from-Germany_724064103.html - I like the advertising, "chain from Germany" (note where the factory is located, LOL)

Is the Sanmu brand available in Japan?

I wouldn't trust any product advertised on "alibaba"! :givebeer:

Yesterday someone dumped a load of junk at my place...

The local forestry company cleaned out their workshop. I know a few of the guys and they figured I might find some use for the stuff:
2 x 345 - P/C looking good
4 x 346 - one NEW (got squashed by a tree really good) and three old ones with usable P/C.
Adding one 346 with a busted crankshaft and roasted P/C plus a disassembled 345 from my own junk pile I will be able to make two complete 346 and one 345 with a load of spares.

Yesterday someone dumped a load of junk at my place...

The local forestry company cleaned out their workshop. I know a few of the guys and they figured I might find some use for the stuff:
2 x 345 - P/C looking good
4 x 346 - one NEW (got squashed by a tree really good) and three old ones with usable P/C.
Adding one 346 with a busted crankshaft and roasted P/C plus a disassembled 345 from my own junk pile I will be able to make two complete 346 and one 345 with a load of spares.

The last time I looked, the Japan version of the 346xp still had the 42mm/45cc top end, for some odd reason. They were 44.3mm/50.1 cc anywhere else, when made after some time in april/may 2007.....

No one really bought the Japan version as parallel imports from the States were available at less than half the price.
But a number of manufacturers produce "special" versions for Japan using stocked-up parts when they introduce new models in the West... an elegant way to get rid of obsolete parts.

No one really bought the Japan version as parallel imports from the States were available at less than half the price.
But a number of manufacturers produce "special" versions for Japan using stocked-up parts when they introduce new models in the West... an elegant way to get rid of obsolete parts.

Could well be - but it also could be about different emission rules/systems, for all I know?

Back