Saws 'n stuff in Japan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found myself a Champ :numberone:
mtadwzj6exqcg.jpg

...with a weird attachment :cool:
wfj2612-img600x448-14261438136oj5vs18221.jpg
Does the oiler still work ?

Do yourself a favor and get rid of the cable. Replace it with synthetic rope like Amsteel. Stronger than steel and weighs less than regular rope.
That thought did cross my mind...
First I will have to see if the winch is of any use to me. I basically was interested in the Champ when I bought the set.

If I am seeing what I think I see, that winch is rather fancy. It has a mechanism that moves back-and-forth to lay the cable in nicely so it doesn't build up in one spot? The Lewis winch doesn't have that.

This guide mechanism doesn't move actively but follows the rope while it's winding onto the drum. Not perfect, though. I rewound the rope once for better alignment but failed miserably. A proper load would probably cause the rope to wind up neatly.

Got a couple of saws out of retirement for next week's firewood harvest...

The 070 AV features a Contra Lightning crankcase. I seem to have no luck with the 070s I buy as they all seem to have severe crankcase damage.
The 045 AV came to me like this a few years ago - a lot of life left in that saw.

This little Tanaka is for the smaller stuff.

I had been separating the good from the bad parts in the pile of 346 XPs I got a few months ago and have already completed 1 saw for a friend (no pics). Today I put together No. 2:
DSCF03451_zps6ikwsacn.jpg

DSCF03461_zpshozceqgp.jpg

I ran 2 tanks through it and it seems to work OK...
I also grabbed this Zenoah G50 today and worked on it some. This is the 3rd Zenoah model (they called themselves Xenoah in the early days) and quite a nice runner.
DSCF03431_zpstpshj1tq.jpg

DSCF03441_zpsltgpgyrc.jpg

I always have asked myself why Pioneer didn't last a little longer... The mid-sized P series (the one in the pic is a P40) never fail to amaze me anew:
DSCF03471_zpsphhkf5q6.jpg

Acceleration-wise they are on par with any modern saw I know. They also aren't really that heavy and should have found more acceptance in their day.

Yupp, forgot to bring a chainsaw... or at least a rope or anything that could be used to move the blockage. :angry:
I usually have at least one little tophandle rolling about on the truck bed.

Back