Sawzall Battery Won't Keep a Charge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last year, after carefully considering all the expert advice I received from you guys, I decided to go with the sawzall instead of the chain saw... and I LOVE it. It's perfect for cleaning up the yard, especially the fencerow.

This is what I bought, along with the pruning blades, at Lowes:
http://www.portercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=30355#

Just started using it again this year and I can't get more than 5-15 minutes of use out of the damn thing before the battery goes dead. I'm cutting privet and small trees in the fencerow, 1" to 6" diameter.
I have two batteries, but still, I can't get much done at one time.
Is this normal???
Is something wrong with the batteries?? The charger??
I notice a faint odor coming from the charger when it's on and it also makes a faint humming sound. Is this normal??

I'll never get this work done going at this pace.:dizzy::chainsaw:
Any suggestions or ideas?

I hate to say it but yes
Out of all the lithium ion batteries out there they are the worst
And they are a lower amp per hour sorry to say all of that but I use them every day and wish I had my dewalt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate to say it but yes
Out of all the lithium ion batteries out there they are the worst
And they are a lower amp per hour sorry to say all of that but I use them every day and wish I had my dewalt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are there other, better, batteries I can use with this saw?

Batteries do not last long period. Not sure if wear out is the right word or not, but they go bad. About a month ago I found some high amp hour batteries on sale so I bought eight of them and installed them into my old battery cases. Works very well and last 15 to 20 minutes of heavy use. It took me more than a 10 hour day to change them all so not sure if it would be better just to buy new batteries. My experience tells me that you need at least four batteries fully charged to do anything and never use a fast charger. The fast charge systems work fast and lets the battery get pretty warm. So slow charging seems to work best. I started using a sawzall to limb trees while climbing. It seemed like a dumb idea until it proved to work pretty smooth. Thanks

I REALLY like my Milwaukee brand batteries and tools. I've used their "Hacks-All" to clear 2"-4" vines entangled along my fence but nothing as big as you have.

I've been the most disappointed with RYOBI batteries. Someone told me that they are actually owned by Milwaukee...

Batteries do not last long period. Not sure if wear out is the right word or not, but they go bad. About a month ago I found some high amp hour batteries on sale so I bought eight of them and installed them into my old battery cases. Works very well and last 15 to 20 minutes of heavy use. It took me more than a 10 hour day to change them all so not sure if it would be better just to buy new batteries. My experience tells me that you need at least four batteries fully charged to do anything and never use a fast charger. The fast charge systems work fast and lets the battery get pretty warm. So slow charging seems to work best. I started using a sawzall to limb trees while climbing. It seemed like a dumb idea until it proved to work pretty smooth. Thanks
That was the first , well second, thing I thought of when I got only 15 min. of work out of a charge - what the heck does a professional do to get through a days work... carry around sacksful of extra batteries all day long??? You answered that question! :eek:

I saved the original receipt (always) and I bought it last June, so I think I'll go back to Lowes and see if they will replace them. If not, I'll see if they have something better that will work. Also need some new pruning blades.
Yeah, I love this little saw! I can cut right down to, or slightly below ground level so I'll be able to mow right over the little stumps I can't dig out. :D
The reason I'm having to do this year after year is because previously, the person who cut out the junk left 3" to 4" stumps that I couldn't mow over so all the crap eventually just came back again and with a vengeance. Hopefully, this will be the last time!

After I get all the junk out, I'm going to replant with some nice cedars, for an eventual wind break, and some low shrubs for erosion control and wildlife habitat. I don't want anything that will get too big since I've planted my Sequoiadendrons near that fencerow.I'm afraid all the squirrels in the yard are having to find new escape routes from the dog now with all the trees gone. :p

Milwaukee has, hands down, the best LiON batteries on the market. You'll need their brand tools, however.
That's what I'll be shopping for then since the "customer service" guy at Lowes wouldn't swap out the batteries/charger... said I had to return the entire package. I said that's even better since I've been told it's crap anyway. :D

That's what I'll be shopping for then since the "customer service" guy at Lowes wouldn't swap out the batteries/charger... said I had to return the entire package. I said that's even better since I've been told it's crap anyway. :D

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...-Capacity-Battery-2-Pack-48-11-1822/203806673

You will want a Milwaukee set that has the M18 XC batteries for use with a Sawzall (which I have and is excellent). I have the 3Ah (54Wh) units shown in the link and they're great for homeowner use. If you're doing lots of pruning or tree removal, you may want to step up to the 5Ah. See link above. Milwaukee batteries are expensive, but they are excellent. Don't let anyone talk you into Rigid, Ryobi or any other brand. Those are cheaper because they cheap out on the battery cells, which is why you're having issues. Milwaukee batteries are a favorite of counterfeiters, so buy from places like Lowes and Home Depot and you'll get the genuine article. Amazon is a crap shoot. Occasionally, Home Depot will sell two XC batteries for $99 online.

As far as care and feeding, don't store them empty, and don't leave them out in a shed where it gets well-below freezing for an extended period (got that tip from my neighbor who services power tools professionally), and the batteries will last for years. I think mine are four years old and still hold a great charge. I have six and none have gone bad yet. That will likely change soon, but I've gotten a lot of use out of them, so I'm good with it.

Milwaukee has a 3 year warranty on batteries and five years on the tools, btw.

Good luck!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...-Capacity-Battery-2-Pack-48-11-1822/203806673

You will want a Milwaukee set that has the M18 XC batteries for use with a Sawzall (which I have and is excellent). I have the 3Ah (54Wh) units shown in the link and they're great for homeowner use. If you're doing lots of pruning or tree removal, you may want to step up to the 5Ah. See link above. Milwaukee batteries are expensive, but they are excellent. Don't let anyone talk you into Rigid, Ryobi or any other brand. Those are cheaper because they cheap out on the battery cells, which is why you're having issues. Milwaukee batteries are a favorite of counterfeiters, so buy from places like Lowes and Home Depot and you'll get the genuine article. Amazon is a crap shoot. Occasionally, Home Depot will sell two XC batteries for $99 online.

As far as care and feeding, don't store them empty, and don't leave them out in a shed where it gets well-below freezing for an extended period (got that tip from my neighbor who services power tools professionally), and the batteries will last for years. I think mine are four years old and still hold a great charge. I have six and none have gone bad yet. That will likely change soon, but I've gotten a lot of use out of them, so I'm good with it.

Milwaukee has a 3 year warranty on batteries and five years on the tools, btw.

Good luck!
OMG $140 for the batteries? They better be good! :p And $180 for the saw. I could rent a track hoe for a day for that much - and be done with it. :rolleyes:
Although, if they take this one back, that'll be $180 towards it.
I'll have to give this some thought.:confused:

As always, thanks for the expert advice.:cheers:

Nice comparison:

I have heard from other sources that milwaukee is still the best maker of sawzalls. Pick the company who's tools fit your hands the best.

One last thing, batteries come partially charged, you are supposed to charge them before first use. I just found that out.

Nice comparison:

I have heard from other sources that milwaukee is still the best maker of sawzalls. Pick the company who's tools fit your hands the best.

One last thing, batteries come partially charged, you are supposed to charge them before first use. I just found that out.

Great video! My vote is for the Milwaukee, slimline, lighter weight, better warranty.
However... my kit came with a skill saw, a drill, two batteries and charger, and a nifty little flashlight, all for $179. Seeing as I probably won't be using it much after I get through with the fencerow, I think I'll cope with what I have and when the batteries are ready for the trash, I'll just get new batteries.
Will these work with my tools and charger?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CAB...-Hours-Lithium-Power-Tool-Batteries/999948428
885911437066lg.jpg

This is what I have now...
885911348829lg.jpg

Don't go higher voltage.... there's a point of "diminishing returns" with internal losses in these batteries.

GO BRUSHLESS, these motors have better power output, better efficiency and longer battery run time.
If you can't get it done with 18v brushless then crank up the gasoline engine.

That's the down-side to power tools that are battery powered. Sooner or later, the batteries will go dead and you'll soon find out just how really expensive they are to replace.

I have some DeWalt battery powered tools. The batteries in them are the old school Ni-Cad. They "seem" to hold up a bit better then the Li-On batteries do. Maybe it's just my imagination too?

Yes, cordless power tools are handy, but they will cost you money to keep um going.

Hey, Treehugger, you ever use a string trimmer or leaf blower? Some of these more expensive battery platforms have those for tools.
Nope. I got about 15 minutes use out of a weed eater, I bought new several years ago, before my arms fell off. Too heavy for me. :( Never used a leaf blower. I let the wind blow them into my neighbors yard :p... the little bit left over, I rake up.
Now, if I were a professional contractor, or had a business where I'd use these, I go for the better option. But, seeing as once the fencerow is cleaned up I'll be using the little flashlight more often than the sawzall, I think I'd be better off, money-wise, to stick with what I've got and hope these batteries last long enough to finish the job. Hell, after 10-15 minutes of using the sawzall, I'm ready for a break anyway. :D

Latest posts

Back