Sc352, 362, or a 372?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overtimegc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to purchase a SC372 with 230 hours on it. I'm curious if this machine is better than its predecessors. Does anyone have any experience running any of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had my 372 for 4 years, just under 800 hours. Aside from a warranty issue and a broken ground wire it has been completely problem free. With four of the tires foamed, it has extremely good balance, and 4wd is almost a must on this model. I find myself constantly engaging it to get to stumps or to avoid lawn damage. On the negative side, the sweep is way to small, have to reposition on many stumps. The visibility is bad as well, chip capacity is not much, so you recirculate chips quickly into the grind. 37 horsepower is not much in the world of stumps, it's mandatory to keep sharp teeth on it. As far as being better than a 352, absolutely. The 352 felt top heavy to me, and the Daihatsu motor was notorious for blowing up. In regards to a 362, never ran one. Your talking a little bit of apples to oranges in that it's a diesel vs gas comparison.

I assume the diesel is a much better choice over gas. I've never owned my own stump grinder and I'm about to pull the plug starting my own business so any advice is much appreciated.
The 372 is quite a bit more expensive than the other models. I'm skeptical that it is a "good" choice over the others.

Do you think a 2012 -372 4wd with 200 hours on it and a steel trailer is worth 28,500?

I thinks it's a fair price for both sides. The extra set of teeth is not a big deal, don't let them use that as a bargaining chip. Try to get them to toss in a bucket of teeth, (60) Maybe some warranty if it's from a dealer.

I paid around 25k for a 2014 44 hp 4012 with 130hrs. No bells or whistles, just 4wd also without a trailer. Looks like the vermeer is about the same class for that machine so it isn't a terrible price. Since buying my machine I have seen a couple with under 500 hours sell a bit lower. 21k-23-k range so I think your in the ball park for a fair deal.

Thanks. From what I've seen lately i am getting a decent deal. Now I just need the ground to thaw out!

Thanks. From what I've seen lately i am getting a decent deal. Now I just need the ground to thaw out!

Ground to thaw?! If I can see the stump, I grind. I almost find it easier when the ground is frozen, very little mud getting thrown around.

Back