Scandinavian Splitting Axes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finnish "Leveraxe"

Interesting !:rock:
There is no English on the site for price or how to get one. So, cost ? Availability in North America ?
Have you thought about sending one to members of Aborsite to try out ? Our 6-7 cords is bucked and piled in butts to split maybe this June for stacking and storing.
We could pass it around as a kind of Focus Group, or Beta Test (software) .
You've got an eager, captive, enthusiast audience here :rockn: . There is even an Arborsite ringer in Norge !:taped:

Availability

Thank you all for the common interest, what you have indicated towards
VIPUKIRVES/LEVERAXE. I am sorry, that my homepages are still only in finnish language. I am working hard to get them translated in english, as well.
As I have mentioned before somewhere on these pages, this invention ,VIPUKIRVES/LEVERAXE, has waited for four million years before it "came to daylight" a few years ago. I expect to get my homepages to be ready for you in your native language very soon. On the same connection there will be the possibility to pay with Visa- or Master cards. This all will take some time but comparing it to the era of four million years, this will be ready in no time.
The price in FINLAND is 199 euros. This includes the sales tax/VAT. (22%)
There is a chanse to send it without the tax, but then you must pay your own salestax. The per cent (%) varies based to the state you live in. Maybe there is some customs fee, as well. The freight by post will be fourty euros . (40e) So, alltogether the price will be 210 euros + your own official fees . (customs + salestax)
The delivery time is 16-21 days.
If you send me a bank check (not private) then the price will be an extra 15 euros. This is the bank comission.
There is some english writing on my homepages. You can find it under the flag of England.(intructions for use)
Based to the global situation that fluctuates all the time, the prices can chanse, as well.
Best regards from FINLAND
www.vipukirves.fi

260.67 US dollars

It is very interesting but I think I will wait for them to be available stateside.

How does it do with 20-22 inch rounds of Red Oak?
I know my 8lb maul was a BIG difference over the 6lb

Hello babalu 87
Because of the totally different splitting mechanism with VIPUKIRVES/LEVERAXE there is not so much importance with the weight of the axe. In traditional axes, YES, but in VIPUKIRVES/LEVERAXE NO. In previouse axes the friction takes most of the energy, that is why you must add the weight if you want to get more power. In VIPUKIRVES/LEVERAXE the friction is very small. On its best hit the friction part is only five (5) millimeters , just at the very first moment, when the blade starts to penetrate to the block. The blade starts to lean to the right and it will go in the air for the next 30-80 millimeters without any friction . All the power you had downwards a while a go is now to the left. The trees here in FINLAND cannot resist this power, you see, the axe blade spreads the block up to eight (8) centimeters. It is more than any traditional axe does.
Try to look at the videos on slowmotion, then you see, what really happeds.
I am sure that the prices will be very tolerable when we are getting so far .
Best regards from FINLAND
www.vipukirves.fi

What about the Fiskars for a woods carry axe and splitter.

145103_7854.jpg

28 inch handle [a little short, but ...] and a 4 1/4 pound head.

I am very happy with the Fiskars 2400 (2400grams should be about 5 1/4 pound), and the 1400 for light duty. :rockn:

I tested the small splitting axe from Gränsfors yesterday, it was plain fun in frozen birch :)

Finland when is the axe of yours going to be available in Sweden ??

Availability

SWE#Kipp
Hi
VIPUKIRVES/LEVERAXE/HÄVKRAFTSYXA is available in Sweden. Go to my homepages, click TILAUS and make the order. Or, click YHTEYSTIEDOT - send me e-mail or call me. I am willing to tell you all you need. I will send you the order by post.Du kan betala yxan i posten(postförskott). Det finns redan många HÄVKRAFTSYXOR i Sverige . Det tar ungefär en vecka at komma dit. I am working hard to get my homemepages translated in Swedish and English.
All the best from FINLAND
www.vipukirves.fi

Frozen wood is no challange for any decent axe........:bang: :bang:
Everybody knows that. It is totally an other story if we are looking the statistics among the decent axes. So far not even one accident with VIPUKIRVES/LEVERAXE.
The chance that you might hurt yourself with VIPUKIRVES/LEVERAXE is nearly impossible.
There is not really any difference be-tween frozen and fresh (melt)wood, when you are using VIPUKIRVES/LEVERAXE.
Based to my experience it is advisable to split the wood as soon as possible after you have cut it down.
FINLAND

Splitting Frozen Wood

Many tree species in N. America are heliotropic: the growth follows the sun in a sort of spiral. Those trees are near impossible to split vertically frozen or not. Unlike paper/white birch, red oak, locust, ashes for example, wood such as beech, elm, apple, and often red/soft maples, and burled maple are almost impossible to split in straight vertical directions. Usually they are either "slabbed" tangentially along growth rings or just pounded to Hell with wedges or monster mauls. Semtex when available works well :rockn: .There are no hard and fast rules. With those tough species we say %&#@$*:angry: while splitting...it helps. The larger the butt with those heliotropes, the tougher the splitting.
We will send a butt to you to try through Ikea.

looks very safe

After seeing the vipukirve splitter on youtube, I must admit it looks like alot less work and ALOT safer. I have many types and sizes of splitters, as well as wedges. I have quit using wedges after some near misses to my head from dislodged wedges flying through the air. I also have one of the Fiskar splitters (mine is labled Gerber) and it is a nice little splitting axe. But very dangerous .. I have had several near misses with my shins from losing grip with the short handle. I would like to get my hands on the vipukirve I hope it becomes more readily available in the US soon.

Safe

After seeing the vipukirve splitter on youtube, I must admit it looks like alot less work and ALOT safer. I have many types and sizes of splitters, as well as wedges. I have quit using wedges after some near misses to my head from dislodged wedges flying through the air. I also have one of the Fiskar splitters (mine is labled Gerber) and it is a nice little splitting axe. But very dangerous .. I have had several near misses with my shins from losing grip with the short handle. I would like to get my hands on the vipukirve I hope it becomes more readily available in the US soon.
Four years on the market. NO ACCIDENT.

Many tree species in N. America are heliotropic: the growth follows the sun in a sort of spiral.

Heliotropic refers to the plants leaves following the sun throughout the day, but I don't think this is what causes the wood to be twisted.

The twisted grain may be a genetic trait that allows the wood to be more flexible, so that the trunk and branches can bend rather than break, under heavy winds or snow loads.

Here is a link to an article on spiral growth.
http://stripe.colorado.edu/~mitton/Spiral Grain.htm

Latest posts

Back