Scored piston on XXV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Pulled apart some Poulan xxv's to see if I could make one good running saw out of a few parts ones, (yeah I know, but I have nothing else to work on at the moment) and found this in one of them.

DSCF4153 (Large).jpg DSCF4154.jpg

I think "scored" might be an understatement, gouged might be more accurate. I didn't think a saw could run long enough for the piston to get in this shape.

Wow that saw was ran long after it should have been shut down and fixed. Amazing how long some will push them .

Pulled apart some Poulan xxv's to see if I could make one good running saw out of a few parts ones, (yeah I know, but I have nothing else to work on at the moment) and found this in one of them.

View attachment 586495 View attachment 586496

I think "scored" might be an understatement, gouged might be more accurate. I didn't think a saw could run long enough for the piston to get in this shape.
I bet Philbert would love that as an educational piece for when he does chainsaw safety/maitenence classes as a volunteer. It really shows what can happen to a piston. I have one of them little poulan's, cool little saw for their day and pretty strong too.

I inherited my 046 with this beautiful slug in it:
IMG_20170603_170958993.jpg

Back