scoring in 046....how bad is this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK...I will take the bait. Just exactly what is your problem w/ oak split and dried for a few months? I BBQ 50 lbs of brisket with it monthly.

Huge thread drift, but I wanted to say that there's a hell of a difference between heating your home with wood and cooking BBQ over it...

have read, from a builder whose opinion I value, that sandpaper is not gonna hurt nikasil. that doesn't mean to start machine sanding without paying attention; just means its not fragile. just what I've read.

Man I hope I'm not making this worse......have been alternating hand sanding and made an 1/8" mandrel from a piece of round stock for my dremel. Both using 120grit aluminum oxide emery tape. Fairly nervous at this point

Forgive the multiple pics of the same thing trying to get good light and good angles

Attachments

• IMG_20150331_193352.jpg
    IMG_20150331_193352.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 1427845133308545819291.jpg
    1427845133308545819291.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 1427845201537-977283817.jpg
    1427845201537-977283817.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 38
  • 1427845337442-1307422779.jpg
    1427845337442-1307422779.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 36
Man the photo quality degrades something fierce from what I see on my phone screen. Lemme know if you want a full res image emailed

Found actual scoring. Two small marks below the exhaust port and a vertical score line above.....not good....IMG_20150331_200727.jpg

So far, I don't see anything that would prevent me from using that cylinder, at least based on your photos.

Obviously I've still got a long way to go but are you seeing positive improvement in terms of the transfer removal?

Huge thread drift, but I wanted to say that there's a hell of a difference between heating your home with wood and cooking BBQ over it...

Ok...I have zero experience with home heated with wood. The poster that had the problem mentioned a fireplace burning seasoned split oak creating a creosote fire. My fireplace burns seasoned split oak from wood cut that year and I have never had a chimney fire. But, in Texas, a fireplace only burns 3 months.

I would imagine wood seasons pretty quickly down there in Texas during the hot summers. Up here in the Midwest and Northeast we tend to have cooler summers with high humidity. It also depends on the species, red and white oak in particular are notorious for slow drying.

I use a dental pick to carefully go over areas I think to be clean but not sure. Some folks use fingernails....I wish I had some. You can definitely "feel" the aluminum if it remains with a pick. They are dirt cheap on fleabay and come in very handy for other things.

Yes, I believe so but you have more to remove.

Yup most definitely. I'm using the un-messed up parts of the cylinder on the sides (oppisate the intake/exhaust) as a guide for what I'd like the entire thing to look like. Sound like a plan?

I use a dental pick to carefully go over areas I think to be clean but not sure. Some folks use fingernails....I wish I had some. You can definitely "feel" the aluminum if it remains with a pick. They are dirt cheap on fleabay and come in very handy for other things.

I was using an aluminum nail for the same purpose, which is how I discovered the small scoring. (I also have no fingernails)

I was using an aluminum nail for the same purpose, which is how I discovered the small scoring. (I also have no fingernails)
Sometimes on severely scored cylinders, you may see striations in the finish which is not aluminum. I suppose these are "heat marks" as the result of that area of the cylinder overheating. Dont worry about them too much. If you have the aluminum removed, it will run fine.

Should I be running the fap sander thru the exhaust port as well as long as I'm doing this? The fouling isn't bad at all but it is there.

The flap sander won't damage the chrome, so flap away till your hearts content. The jug is to guide the piston so as long as the rings are sealing it's all good.
When I do a rebuilt like this I like to run 20:1 on partial throttle for about 5 minutes to help blend things together.
As mentioned already, it's important to find out what casused the scoring.

The flap sander won't damage the chrome, so flap away till your hearts content. The jug is to guide the piston so as long as the rings are sealing it's all good.
When I do a rebuilt like this I like to run 20:1 on partial throttle for about 5 minutes to help blend things together.
As mentioned already, it's important to find out what casused the scoring.
Good to know, one of my next questions was gonna be what to do initially once its all back together

Good to know, one of my next questions was gonna be what to do initially once its all back together
I'd set the L&H on the rich side and the idle up a bit and let it run for a few minutes on a thicker mix for a few minutes before doing your final adjustments.

Back