Scraps and sawdust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trx250r180

Saw polisher
Reaction score
What do you guys do with it ? i tried making the scraps into firewood ,but the stacks do not stack good and fall over ,i get a lot of sawdust also ,is there a use for this stuff ,besides dumping it over the bank ? I think a big bon fire is in the works for the scraps ,how do you guys dispose of this stuff when get an over abundance you will never use ?

Sawdust from the cabinet table saw goes into the compost, planner chips/saw chips into the flowerbeds or around the small trees, anything kindling size get whacked up and put into the kindling shed,any other weird non salvageable crap gets tossed into the burnpile.
You are in the PNW, just wait for one of those crappy fall days and torch all the scraps...... don't forget the marshmallows.

If you have tire tracks in your yard like I do. Line them with the sawdust prevents a muddy mess.

Saw dust goes into compost, fresh saw dust 1:1 with fresh grass clippings. Very fast turn around, texture similar to peat moss after it is almost turned when it flys through a hammer mill. Ready to use in one full season. Excellent soil modifier for my location. Anything else gets cut to fit through the chipper, always looking for straight wood chip, no leaves. Anything with leaves goes through the chipper and become a different type of compost. Generally wait 2 seasons before use. No waste, chip and compost save me more money than firewood with the current NG prices.

I bring bags of the saw dust home with me if milling off site, slabs get edged at home unless to big to tilt walk to the truck, if so the edging gets loaded up as well.

So I can spread the sawdust in the field? Will that help grass grow or stop it? I found a home for this load of scraps,it will be campfire wood, the chipper is a good idea for the wane scraps, thanks for the idea's

I use canola bar oil, so I can use the sawdust and noodles safely as mulch in my gardens, particularly around the berries. Small scrap wood and cookies I toss into a pile next to the outdoor fire ring and burn it here or take it with me to burn when camping.

There's alot of YouTube videos on making sawdust briquettes. Just add water to make a slurry then put into a form and press the water back out. The pressure activates the lignin in the wood, makes nice bricks that burn supposedly 3x as long as wood. The yuppies might like it better that firewood - no splinters and you have a new market

There's alot of YouTube videos on making sawdust briquettes. Just add water to make a slurry then put into a form and press the water back out. The pressure activates the lignin in the wood, makes nice bricks that burn supposedly 3x as long as wood. The yuppies might like it better that firewood - no splinters and you have a new market
Go make one, then tell me how many more your gonna make!

I'm fine burning firewood and have a couple of dumps to run debris off to, but it's one way to get rid of dust and the nicer presses can be run off of a vertical woodsplitter and make 8 or 10 at a time

The BTU recovery is negative, much easier to bag /box it and burn it. Even easier to use it as mulch or compost once degraded.

Yes it does last and burn however the moisture content is too variable to have any predictable results, let alone adding a binding agent to a larger mass versus a pellet.

I have a sawmill and have found ways to process large amounts of slabs and sawdust. Off season burning and Ice conservation have proved to be the best options.

I am not at all familiar with your location but I would be reluctant to spread it out as fresh saw dust over any planted ground that was important to me. Main reasons being it tends to crust over after rain and kill vegetation such as fine leaf grass, it tends to change the top layer of soil chemistry killing off or at the very least stunting growth, it harbors lots of fungus, mildew and mold. Basically it kills or at least stunts the grass that I want and does not do anything bad enough to the plants that I do not want.

A somewhat minor issue is when I mow over it my allergies go nuts.

Perhaps if it was spread out thin enough it might work out but I have not found out what thin enough is yet. I have used it to kill grass and moss. Broad leaf weeds may be stunted but will grow through a foot of maple saw dust.

Something else to consider is drainage as it would be bad to have a lot of saw dust floating into any ponds or such.

Different tree dusts do different things, Maples, Oaks, and Ash dust turns fast but Locust dust just sits there. In one pile a 3 inch thick layer of Locust dust was still clearly visible 2 years later and barely looked darker while the rest of the pile was very dark and rich. Ended up running the whole pile through a hammer mill again just even it out.

We sell the sawdust in the big "Super Sack" (around 1-1.25 yards). Folks with horses, chickens, pigs, etc buy it. Also sell some to an oil refinery downstate.

Have quite a bit from 5he processors as well as the Woodmizer and a couple planers/moulders.

All the junk... burn in the shop stove or bonfire.

Latest posts

Back