Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Told the wife the saw is wrecked, going to have to buy a new one. Damn shame a nice saw like that. Pretty sure she doesn't believe me though. I likely have 3 or 4 saws in the barn that I never use with the same cover on them. I'm just going to buy a new cover, I don't spend much at the local shop and he's a good guy. Schmidt's in Bluevale.

IMG_2459.JPG

I found a new tree to cut up tomorrow another eucalyptus tree. I think there should be around 2 and a half cord in it. Around 3 ft at the base should be fun trying not to drop it on the module builders all the weight it on that side

I was thinkin about that after I saw it. I need a big load of brick from craigslist...

My Dad once told me, when he was growing up, they would take the bricks off the pot bellied stove (it was in NYC, I believe fueled by coal) and line their beds with them so they would stay warm long enough to go to sleep.

Ok remembered to take pics this time..... a crab apple tree fell over in a local ladies yard, told her $50 I clean it up......I didn't even use 1-tank of gas in the 024 and in 1-hour I was done and heading home......I used the 024 I just bought few weeks ago as a non- runner....I put an AV mount on her and went threw the carb, runs great now!!!!

Well I believe this red-lever 024 is never leaving me now, I really like it, runs great and has good power.....one thing is for sure these older saws have NO PROBLEMS oiling the bar LOL...

Oh and yes my work bench is a mess.... I used to just rebuild saws whenever someone answered my non-runner CL ad.....well things have changed for the better....I met an extremely cool local guy that sells me all the saws I want....I even just got a ms660 to rebuild, and it ain't in that bad shape, I am so excited to completely rebuild it.... I will be keeping it forever, so all new parts are goin in her!!!!
IMG_1765.JPG IMG_1769.JPG IMG_1771.JPG IMG_1772.JPG

Got about a half of truckload full of white oak hauled to the splitting area yesterday. Mostly was hauling branches and tops to the curb. Thought about burning it but I've had around 100 foot of curb covered in branches and tops this summer that the city hauled away no problem so I'll let them deal with it. I was expecting them to send me a bill but they never did. Since we are still in a pretty severe drought I'm sure they would rather haul stuff off than people burn right now anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Dad once told me, when he was growing up, they would take the bricks off the pot bellied stove (it was in NYC, I believe fueled by coal) and line their beds with them so they would stay warm long enough to go to sleep.
the amish,,with horse and buggy, would do he same,, with rocks inside a hinged tin box,, and put their feet on that going down the road.......I have a fancy one of them.........

I had a few hours to kill this afternoon so I went to the houselot that I cleared , there's still a bit of wood left so I fired up the 1020 :)
I picked up the last of the hardwood and a few short pieces of spruce .

20170115_134936.jpg

I was also going to drag some of that dead spruce that was on top of the pile that looked like it was good enough to burn .

20170115_143744_HDR.jpg

But 1 cut told a different tale .

20170115_143735.jpg

Oh well , next year's burning .

The first tree I have ever chained. That split was in the area of my face cut and ran over 16' up the tree before it became invisible. Probably an 18" tree since an 18" bar wouldn't quite reach through. Rolled the wrong direction off the stump into the crotch of a nice 12" oak and hung up ~50-60' in the air. I hate to think how little $ per hour I'll make on this one :eek: Glad I'm into firewood for the exercise and not the money ;)

20170115_132850[1].jpg 20170115_132951[1].jpg

Happy 1001 pages!

I didn't get pics, but went out and dropped 3 beetle-killed ash trees with my cousin on Saturday. We both got good (1/2 cord +) pickup loads out of them, with as much left on the ground to finish bucking and splitting next weekend.

Yesterday, I re-loaded the basement and got ready for the week. This ash passes the Dancan moisture meter test just fine:
2017-01-15 22.23.59 small.jpg 2017-01-15 22.21.40 small.jpg

Sorry for the improperly rotated pictures. I edited them to fix, and they're still going upside down and sideways.

The first tree I have ever chained. That split was in the area of my face cut and ran over 16' up the tree before it became invisible. Probably an 18" tree since an 18" bar wouldn't quite reach through. Rolled the wrong direction off the stump into the crotch of a nice 12" oak and hung up ~50-60' in the air. I hate to think how little $ per hour I'll make on this one :eek: Glad I'm into firewood for the exercise and not the money ;)

View attachment 551252 View attachment 551253

First, I like to use rope, not chain, and second, NEVER cut through your hinge, either pull on the rope or bang a wedge.

I like using rope and a rope winch because the rope stretches a bit, and it will pull even if no one is winching it. The trick is to have constant tension on the pull rope. Also, nice to have someone winching it when it comes down, just make sure they are always far enough back.

You don't want something to just "hold" it, you want something to "pull" it. Momentum is always your friend, nothing will stop a tree that is already going the wrong way.

I guess I should have been more specific. This is the first time I wrapped a chain around a tree and used a binder to tighten it to avoid it opening up / barber chairing due to the trunk being split. EAB killed ash die from the top down, so I was counting on the top branches breaking off when they brushed against the oak limb in the path between the top of this tree and the ground. 9 times out of ten I'd have won that bet, not this time and she hung up :(

These ash also rot from the roots up. I wrapped a chain around the trunk so I could use a come-a-long to roll it counter clockwise off the stump and the oak limb. When it started to roll, the split I was so concerned with above the cut became my downfall as it split below the cut under the weight of the tree. As the stump crumbled away at the spit down to the rotted area near the roots and broke off, the tree fell away from the direction it needed to go and deeper into crotch at the top of the oak. Now it was really hung up. Yay!

3 hours later it was on the landing :rolleyes:

Just what I like to see on here another Teacher. I go to the bush and do these things so other people can learn the correct way from my mistakes. I've been spending a lot of time in the bush lately so I've been having a few of those " well at least I'm getting exercise" days. Tomorrow will be better I'm sure.

I guess I should have been more specific. This is the first time I wrapped a chain around a tree and used a binder to tighten it to avoid it opening up / barber chairing due to the trunk being split. EAB killed ash die from the top down, so I was counting on the top branches breaking off when they brushed against the oak limb in the path between the top of this tree and the ground. 9 times out of ten I'd have won that bet, not this time and she hung up :(

These ash also rot from the roots up. I wrapped a chain around the trunk so I could use a come-a-long to roll it counter clockwise off the stump and the oak limb. When it started to roll, the split I was so concerned with above the cut became my downfall as it split below the cut under the weight of the tree. As the stump crumbled away at the spit down to the rotted area near the roots and broke off, the tree fell away from the direction it needed to go and deeper into crotch at the top of the oak. Now it was really hung up. Yay!

3 hours later it was on the landing :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back