Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, you rent that ride? Thought that stuff was mostly in Alaska!
Have a friend who has 12 dogs plus 3 puppies. Quite a few folks in MN have dogs. Some for racing and others for experience. This fellow has pure siberians which are bigger and much more mild tempered than the Alaskan husky aka mutt race dogs which will often try to lay you open at any turn. These dogs are kid safe except for knocking them over while trying to lick their faces. He does a lot of rides at winter festivals so demands that his dogs behave themselves.

These dogs. The ones to the rear of the sled will go 80 lbs.
IMG_6977.JPG

A race dog Google image. 35-45 lbs. notice build and vastly varying coloration.
IMG_7002.JPG

Just what I like to see on here another Teacher. I go to the bush and do these things so other people can learn the correct way from my mistakes. I've been spending a lot of time in the bush lately so I've been having a few of those " well at least I'm getting exercise" days. Tomorrow will be better I'm sure.
Many will tell you how grateful they to have learned from my bad example ;)
Ironically, as I drove home at the end of the day I distinctly thought to myself , may have even said it aloud to nobody but me "Well, that certainly was a teachable moment."

Have a friend who has 12 dogs plus 3 puppies. Quite a few folks in MN have dogs. Some for racing and others for experience. This fellow has pure siberians which are bigger and much more mild tempered than the Alaskan husky aka mutt race dogs which will often try to lay you open at any turn. These dogs are kid safe except for knocking them over while trying to lick their faces. He does a lot of rides at winter festivals so demands that his dogs behave themselves.

These dogs. The ones to the rear of the sled will go 80 lbs.
View attachment 551484

A race dog Google image. 35-45 lbs. notice build and vastly varying coloration.
View attachment 551485

Thanks for sharing. That is kind of a bucket list thing for me. Believe it or not it is easy to find Siberian Huskies here but they have never seen a sled. You can imagine they are a bit uncomfortable in the summer. I did not know they had a reputation for a mild temperament.

Believe it or not it is easy to find Siberian Huskies here but they have never seen a sled.
I did some of this many years ago. In the summer, the competition sled dogs pull wheeled carts, ATVs, even old Volkswagen Beetles to train, but they can overheat quickly.

We have a number of outfitters in Northern Minnesota who offer this kind of experience, if you are seriously interested. And one of the largest sled dog races in the lower 48 coming up in a few weeks: http://www.beargrease.com/

Philbert

Thanks for sharing. That is kind of a bucket list thing for me. Believe it or not it is easy to find Siberian Huskies here but they have never seen a sled. You can imagine they are a bit uncomfortable in the summer. I did not know they had a reputation for a mild temperament.
Just to clarify, Jack's dogs are very mild but many are not as trustworthy even if brought up in a domestic environment. However the Siberians are generally much milder than dogs bred to race.

Did close to 20 miles today on dog sled. Boy I saw some primo scrounge too. Going through a network of state forest/nature research area.

View attachment 551376

OK...wayyyyy too much fun!!!

I thought about that here, but would need flotation tires and like pontoons for mud dog sledding....

My Dad once told me, when he was growing up, they would take the bricks off the pot bellied stove (it was in NYC, I believe fueled by coal) and line their beds with them so they would stay warm long enough to go to sleep.

I did the same thing when I lived in maine. A lot better than frozen feet.

Not sure about this one. Wide dead canopy makes me nervous.
View attachment 551704 View attachment 551702

Well, beat feet when it goes, and keep looking up constantly constantly, while cutting and after cutting. We have a member here who got el kabonged from a flying dead branch after the tree hit and bounced. He caught it on his noggin, nasty, and he was videoing it when it happened.

Looks like a dead Elm. Wear a helmet, and get away when it starts moving.

That thing was swaying when I was just checking it out. Honestly, I don't "need" it that bad, and it's on state property so I hate to hang it up. I'd be nervous setting wedges too. I drive through the state on my way to work, so I try to keep an idea on where some possible trees are. It's kinda funny-I check out stumps of trees that other folks cut before I get the chance. It looks like a couple hacks have moved in, but so far even they have passed that tree up. Being on the state, I'd have to carry it out to the road. My dander just isn't there yet!

Back